May 3, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
People like a good comeback, but Flyers’ fans would probably appreciate it if their team could hold onto a 1-0 lead sometimes too. Philadelphia has a 4-0 record in the playoffs when their opponent scores first, but they’re just 1-4 in games were they’ve taken a 1-0 lead.
Wednesday’s contest was another example of that anomaly. Brayden Schenn scored the opening goal for the Philadelphia Flyers, but Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk both found the back of the net to give the New Jersey Devils a 2-1 lead going into the first intermission. The Flyers managed to send the game to overtime, but they never retook the lead.
The only other teams that have won just two or fewer games after scoring first have been eliminated from the playoffs. The flip side is that no squad has successfully overcome more 1-0 deficits.
Of course this is a relatively isolated statistic. It’s not that the Flyers are incapable of holding onto a lead in general – although they certainly could use a bit of work in that department too. They have a 2-2 record when leading after one period and a 2-1 record when leading after 40 minutes.
Really, it’s probably more of a product of a small sample size than a genuine area of concern, but the Flyers scoring first is starting to turn into a bad omen.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 21
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)