May 3, 2012, 11:21 PM EST
People like a good comeback, but Flyers’ fans would probably appreciate it if their team could hold onto a 1-0 lead sometimes too. Philadelphia has a 4-0 record in the playoffs when their opponent scores first, but they’re just 1-4 in games were they’ve taken a 1-0 lead.
Wednesday’s contest was another example of that anomaly. Brayden Schenn scored the opening goal for the Philadelphia Flyers, but Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk both found the back of the net to give the New Jersey Devils a 2-1 lead going into the first intermission. The Flyers managed to send the game to overtime, but they never retook the lead.
The only other teams that have won just two or fewer games after scoring first have been eliminated from the playoffs. The flip side is that no squad has successfully overcome more 1-0 deficits.
Of course this is a relatively isolated statistic. It’s not that the Flyers are incapable of holding onto a lead in general – although they certainly could use a bit of work in that department too. They have a 2-2 record when leading after one period and a 2-1 record when leading after 40 minutes.
Really, it’s probably more of a product of a small sample size than a genuine area of concern, but the Flyers scoring first is starting to turn into a bad omen.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)