May 3, 2012, 6:07 PM EST
While not quite a war of words, things are heating up between Peter Laviolette and Peter DeBoer.
Pete-ing up, if you will.
/shows self out
A few hours after the Devils head coach said the pressure’s on Philadelphia, the Philadelphia head coach shot back.
“It’s irrelevant. Who somebody says the pressure is on is irrelevant,” Laviolette told The Star-Ledger. “New Jersey’s got a good team. The Flyers have got a good team. It’s 1-1 in the series.
“The team that plays the best on the ice tonight has the best chance of winning the hockey game.”
Described as “a bit testy” in his pregame presser, Laviolette stressed that both teams are desperate, want to win and have equal amounts at stake heading into Game 3. Ergo, the talk about shifting pressure is totally inconsequential.
“I’d like to think our strides are more meaningful tonight,” he said. “I don’t know what switch you turn on, but nobody wants to go down, 2-1, in the series.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 13
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)