May 3, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
It’s been rumored for a while that Ilya Kovalchuk was battling an injury and that was essentially confirmed when it was revealed that he would miss Game 2 of the New Jersey Devils’ second round series. However, even then, the full extent of his problem was not made clear.
Now it is: Kovalchuk started experiencing pain in his back during the first round and missed Game 2 because of a herniated disc. However, he was able to return on Thursday and went on to record a goal and two assists in New Jersey’s 4-3 overtime win over Philadelphia.
“We have great trainers and we have good doctors here, so they did a great job,” Kovalchuk said. “I think it was the right thing to do to sit a couple days. I got four days rest and I did the stuff I was supposed to do and I feel much better.”
Although at one point he was insisting that he was fine, Kovalchuk now admits that it was fairly obvious that something was wrong.
“I think everybody saw that I couldn’t skate the way I used to,” Kovalchuk said.
Even then, the decision to take some time off to get better was a tough one.
“You want to play,” he said. “But when something bothers you it’s better to sit a couple days, regroup, have the doctors do their thing, feel better and play better.”
His decision certainly seems to have paid off.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)