May 3, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
It’s been rumored for a while that Ilya Kovalchuk was battling an injury and that was essentially confirmed when it was revealed that he would miss Game 2 of the New Jersey Devils’ second round series. However, even then, the full extent of his problem was not made clear.
Now it is: Kovalchuk started experiencing pain in his back during the first round and missed Game 2 because of a herniated disc. However, he was able to return on Thursday and went on to record a goal and two assists in New Jersey’s 4-3 overtime win over Philadelphia.
“We have great trainers and we have good doctors here, so they did a great job,” Kovalchuk said. “I think it was the right thing to do to sit a couple days. I got four days rest and I did the stuff I was supposed to do and I feel much better.”
Although at one point he was insisting that he was fine, Kovalchuk now admits that it was fairly obvious that something was wrong.
“I think everybody saw that I couldn’t skate the way I used to,” Kovalchuk said.
Even then, the decision to take some time off to get better was a tough one.
“You want to play,” he said. “But when something bothers you it’s better to sit a couple days, regroup, have the doctors do their thing, feel better and play better.”
His decision certainly seems to have paid off.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)