May 3, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
The good times keep getting better for Los Angeles.
Up 2-0 in their Western Conference semifinal against St. Louis, the Kings received some good news on Thursday as winger Kyle Clifford was cleared to play for the first time since suffering a concussion in the opener of their Round 1 series against Vancouver:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Clifford is available for this evening’s tilt with the Blues, though Kings head coach Darryl Sutter wouldn’t say if the 21-year-old would be back in the lineup.
“He’s available. He’s fully cleared to practice,” Sutter told the L.A. Times. “If you get here for warm-ups then you’re going to find out.”
The decision to play Clifford, the 35th overall pick at the 2009 draft, might not come down to his health at all. The two most likely candidates he’d replace — rookies Dwight King and Jordan Nolan — have played very well against St. Louis and drawn high praise from Sutter.
“They’re big kids who can skate. It’s always nice to have that,” Sutter said. They’re both the same age, young guys. I told them last night I wish I was them.
“As we go along we’ve had to manage their minutes because it is a more intense environment, but they’ve done a good job giving us those minutes.”
That said, it would seem strange to hold Clifford out. He was a lineup fixture throughout the regular season, playing in 81 games (5G-7A-12PTS) while finishing third on the team in hits (179).
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)