May 3, 2012, 11:08 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk sure looked “fresh” in the New Jersey Devils’ 4-3 OT win in Game 3 against the Philadelphia Flyers after sitting out Game 2 with what might have been a bad back. In fact, sign me up for whatever treatment he underwent, as he scored a goal and two assists in a masterful performance.
He collected his first two points in a 20-second span and then exploited a bad Flyers line change in OT to set up Alexei Ponikarovsky‘s winning play. Kovalchuk was clearly amped up to be back in the mix beyond that, too; cameras caught him furiously arguing a delay of game penalty and he also had an animated response to a near-goal when the Devils were up 3-2.
Overall, Kovalchuk received 22:09 time on ice, which might be a little low compared to what he would have seen in almost four periods of hockey. Still, he got his reps and obviously made the most of his opportunities on Thursday.
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 10
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 168
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)