May 3, 2012, 11:08 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk sure looked “fresh” in the New Jersey Devils’ 4-3 OT win in Game 3 against the Philadelphia Flyers after sitting out Game 2 with what might have been a bad back. In fact, sign me up for whatever treatment he underwent, as he scored a goal and two assists in a masterful performance.
He collected his first two points in a 20-second span and then exploited a bad Flyers line change in OT to set up Alexei Ponikarovsky‘s winning play. Kovalchuk was clearly amped up to be back in the mix beyond that, too; cameras caught him furiously arguing a delay of game penalty and he also had an animated response to a near-goal when the Devils were up 3-2.
Overall, Kovalchuk received 22:09 time on ice, which might be a little low compared to what he would have seen in almost four periods of hockey. Still, he got his reps and obviously made the most of his opportunities on Thursday.
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 2
- Video: Shattenkirk injured, won’t return after collision with Ovechkin 1
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 3
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 23
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28