May 3, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
(Without being too conspiratorial, it’s hard to think this was coincidental. Earlier in the day, Torres and the NHLPA announced they’d be appealing the 25 game suspension Torres got for hitting Hossa.)
Courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times, Hossa had plenty to say about the hit — and Torres.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
Hossa also revealed Torres contacted him after the incident. While he appreciated the gesture, the ‘Hawks forward took the opportunity to get some stuff off his chest.
“I would say that it was nice that he contacted me, but I told him, I know he’s playing that way, but the one thing that I was upset with was the jump,” Hossa said. “If he didn’t jump, I would maybe get hit, but not hit in my head and he wouldn’t have the 25 games. Basically, I was upset about the jumping.”
Hossa is currently in his native Slovakia recovering from his concussion. He says the process is slow and he’s still not feeling like himself, but has noticed signs of improvement.
“The good news is I’m slowly getting better,” Hossa said. “Obviously, I’m not feeling like myself yet, but I’m getting better. I’m slowly going for walks and that’s a good thing. Training camp is still far away and we’ll see what will happen by then.
“So far, small steps and I believe I’ll be ready.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)