May 3, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
(Without being too conspiratorial, it’s hard to think this was coincidental. Earlier in the day, Torres and the NHLPA announced they’d be appealing the 25 game suspension Torres got for hitting Hossa.)
Courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times, Hossa had plenty to say about the hit — and Torres.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
Hossa also revealed Torres contacted him after the incident. While he appreciated the gesture, the ‘Hawks forward took the opportunity to get some stuff off his chest.
“I would say that it was nice that he contacted me, but I told him, I know he’s playing that way, but the one thing that I was upset with was the jump,” Hossa said. “If he didn’t jump, I would maybe get hit, but not hit in my head and he wouldn’t have the 25 games. Basically, I was upset about the jumping.”
Hossa is currently in his native Slovakia recovering from his concussion. He says the process is slow and he’s still not feeling like himself, but has noticed signs of improvement.
“The good news is I’m slowly getting better,” Hossa said. “Obviously, I’m not feeling like myself yet, but I’m getting better. I’m slowly going for walks and that’s a good thing. Training camp is still far away and we’ll see what will happen by then.
“So far, small steps and I believe I’ll be ready.”
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)