May 3, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
(Without being too conspiratorial, it’s hard to think this was coincidental. Earlier in the day, Torres and the NHLPA announced they’d be appealing the 25 game suspension Torres got for hitting Hossa.)
Courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times, Hossa had plenty to say about the hit — and Torres.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
Hossa also revealed Torres contacted him after the incident. While he appreciated the gesture, the ‘Hawks forward took the opportunity to get some stuff off his chest.
“I would say that it was nice that he contacted me, but I told him, I know he’s playing that way, but the one thing that I was upset with was the jump,” Hossa said. “If he didn’t jump, I would maybe get hit, but not hit in my head and he wouldn’t have the 25 games. Basically, I was upset about the jumping.”
Hossa is currently in his native Slovakia recovering from his concussion. He says the process is slow and he’s still not feeling like himself, but has noticed signs of improvement.
“The good news is I’m slowly getting better,” Hossa said. “Obviously, I’m not feeling like myself yet, but I’m getting better. I’m slowly going for walks and that’s a good thing. Training camp is still far away and we’ll see what will happen by then.
“So far, small steps and I believe I’ll be ready.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)