May 3, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
(Without being too conspiratorial, it’s hard to think this was coincidental. Earlier in the day, Torres and the NHLPA announced they’d be appealing the 25 game suspension Torres got for hitting Hossa.)
Courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times, Hossa had plenty to say about the hit — and Torres.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
Hossa also revealed Torres contacted him after the incident. While he appreciated the gesture, the ‘Hawks forward took the opportunity to get some stuff off his chest.
“I would say that it was nice that he contacted me, but I told him, I know he’s playing that way, but the one thing that I was upset with was the jump,” Hossa said. “If he didn’t jump, I would maybe get hit, but not hit in my head and he wouldn’t have the 25 games. Basically, I was upset about the jumping.”
Hossa is currently in his native Slovakia recovering from his concussion. He says the process is slow and he’s still not feeling like himself, but has noticed signs of improvement.
“The good news is I’m slowly getting better,” Hossa said. “Obviously, I’m not feeling like myself yet, but I’m getting better. I’m slowly going for walks and that’s a good thing. Training camp is still far away and we’ll see what will happen by then.
“So far, small steps and I believe I’ll be ready.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)