May 3, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
(Without being too conspiratorial, it’s hard to think this was coincidental. Earlier in the day, Torres and the NHLPA announced they’d be appealing the 25 game suspension Torres got for hitting Hossa.)
Courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times, Hossa had plenty to say about the hit — and Torres.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
Hossa also revealed Torres contacted him after the incident. While he appreciated the gesture, the ‘Hawks forward took the opportunity to get some stuff off his chest.
“I would say that it was nice that he contacted me, but I told him, I know he’s playing that way, but the one thing that I was upset with was the jump,” Hossa said. “If he didn’t jump, I would maybe get hit, but not hit in my head and he wouldn’t have the 25 games. Basically, I was upset about the jumping.”
Hossa is currently in his native Slovakia recovering from his concussion. He says the process is slow and he’s still not feeling like himself, but has noticed signs of improvement.
“The good news is I’m slowly getting better,” Hossa said. “Obviously, I’m not feeling like myself yet, but I’m getting better. I’m slowly going for walks and that’s a good thing. Training camp is still far away and we’ll see what will happen by then.
“So far, small steps and I believe I’ll be ready.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)