May 3, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
In an excellent piece looking at John Tortorella’s terse relationship with the media, the National Post’s Bruce Arthur spoke with arguably the best person to explain Torts’ signature abruptness:
Back in 2004, Feaster and Tortorella were GM and coach of the Cup-winning Tampa Bay Lightning. While Torts was much younger — 46 then, 53 now — and has cooled somewhat in recent years, the fire still burns deep within, flickering to the surface during press conferences.
All part of the plan, according to Feaster.
“He’s the guys trying to take the bullets,” Feaster said. “I was watching it on TSN the other night, and it’s all about John Tortorella being abrupt with the media, and him being tough, and all this. And it’s not about the New York Rangers. It’s not asking Henrik Lundqvist why that puck got past him, or asking Brad Richards questions, or Brian Boyle, or anything.
“He did it with us in Tampa. There’s a method to the madness.”
To be fair, part of this madness might be financially motivated. Tortorella has been fined a grand sum of $50,000 this year for remarks made to the media — $30,000 for blasting officials after the Winter Classic, $20,000 for
ripping the Penguins organization swearing.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)