May 3, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers got two power-play opportunities in overtime, but they couldn’t take advantage of either one. The momentum shifted to New Jersey Devils after they successfully killed off the second penalty and Alexei Ponikarovsky got one by Ilya Bryzgalov to earn a 4-3 victory. The Devils have now claimed a 2-1 series lead.
- Sean Couturier left the game due to a lower-body injury.
- Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk scored just 20 seconds apart in the first period. That’s six seconds faster than the previous franchise record for back-to-back goals in a playoff game.
- Danny Briere has eight goals in nine playoff games after scoring just 16 goals in 70 regular season contests.
- Four of the Devils’ last five games have gone to overtime.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47