May 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
At one point in Game 3, the Philadelphia Flyers were starting to look like the first round version of the Philadelphia Flyers again. That meant waves of chances swirling toward New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and a potent-looking power play. Unfortunately for Philly, the Devils’ record-breaking PK came through big-time in overtime, helping them eventually earn a 4-3 OT victory.
The Flyers received two power play opportunities in extra time – one is rare enough – but did next-to-thing with those chances. Danny Briere scored the game-tying goal (pushing his gaudy playoff numbers to 107 points in 106 games), so perhaps he has the right to slam that unit to Sam Carchidi.
“It’s an honor to be out there [on the power play],” Briere said. “Right now, we take it for granted.”
It’s hard to argue with Briere, as the team lacked the puck movement and aggression on those overtime advantages, most settling for “too cute” plays over their ideal mix of creativity and fast shots. The Devils lead the series 2-1 for a variety of reasons, but don’t be shocked if it comes down to their PK beating the Flyers’ PP.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)