May 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
At one point in Game 3, the Philadelphia Flyers were starting to look like the first round version of the Philadelphia Flyers again. That meant waves of chances swirling toward New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and a potent-looking power play. Unfortunately for Philly, the Devils’ record-breaking PK came through big-time in overtime, helping them eventually earn a 4-3 OT victory.
The Flyers received two power play opportunities in extra time – one is rare enough – but did next-to-thing with those chances. Danny Briere scored the game-tying goal (pushing his gaudy playoff numbers to 107 points in 106 games), so perhaps he has the right to slam that unit to Sam Carchidi.
“It’s an honor to be out there [on the power play],” Briere said. “Right now, we take it for granted.”
It’s hard to argue with Briere, as the team lacked the puck movement and aggression on those overtime advantages, most settling for “too cute” plays over their ideal mix of creativity and fast shots. The Devils lead the series 2-1 for a variety of reasons, but don’t be shocked if it comes down to their PK beating the Flyers’ PP.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)