May 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
At one point in Game 3, the Philadelphia Flyers were starting to look like the first round version of the Philadelphia Flyers again. That meant waves of chances swirling toward New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and a potent-looking power play. Unfortunately for Philly, the Devils’ record-breaking PK came through big-time in overtime, helping them eventually earn a 4-3 OT victory.
The Flyers received two power play opportunities in extra time – one is rare enough – but did next-to-thing with those chances. Danny Briere scored the game-tying goal (pushing his gaudy playoff numbers to 107 points in 106 games), so perhaps he has the right to slam that unit to Sam Carchidi.
“It’s an honor to be out there [on the power play],” Briere said. “Right now, we take it for granted.”
It’s hard to argue with Briere, as the team lacked the puck movement and aggression on those overtime advantages, most settling for “too cute” plays over their ideal mix of creativity and fast shots. The Devils lead the series 2-1 for a variety of reasons, but don’t be shocked if it comes down to their PK beating the Flyers’ PP.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)