May 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
At one point in Game 3, the Philadelphia Flyers were starting to look like the first round version of the Philadelphia Flyers again. That meant waves of chances swirling toward New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and a potent-looking power play. Unfortunately for Philly, the Devils’ record-breaking PK came through big-time in overtime, helping them eventually earn a 4-3 OT victory.
The Flyers received two power play opportunities in extra time – one is rare enough – but did next-to-thing with those chances. Danny Briere scored the game-tying goal (pushing his gaudy playoff numbers to 107 points in 106 games), so perhaps he has the right to slam that unit to Sam Carchidi.
“It’s an honor to be out there [on the power play],” Briere said. “Right now, we take it for granted.”
It’s hard to argue with Briere, as the team lacked the puck movement and aggression on those overtime advantages, most settling for “too cute” plays over their ideal mix of creativity and fast shots. The Devils lead the series 2-1 for a variety of reasons, but don’t be shocked if it comes down to their PK beating the Flyers’ PP.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)