May 3, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
At one point in Game 3, the Philadelphia Flyers were starting to look like the first round version of the Philadelphia Flyers again. That meant waves of chances swirling toward New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and a potent-looking power play. Unfortunately for Philly, the Devils’ record-breaking PK came through big-time in overtime, helping them eventually earn a 4-3 OT victory.
The Flyers received two power play opportunities in extra time – one is rare enough – but did next-to-thing with those chances. Danny Briere scored the game-tying goal (pushing his gaudy playoff numbers to 107 points in 106 games), so perhaps he has the right to slam that unit to Sam Carchidi.
“It’s an honor to be out there [on the power play],” Briere said. “Right now, we take it for granted.”
It’s hard to argue with Briere, as the team lacked the puck movement and aggression on those overtime advantages, most settling for “too cute” plays over their ideal mix of creativity and fast shots. The Devils lead the series 2-1 for a variety of reasons, but don’t be shocked if it comes down to their PK beating the Flyers’ PP.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)