May 3, 2012, 9:21 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have gotten a lot of use out of their young players during the 2012 postseason, which makes the loss of Sean Couturier all the more devastating. Couturier was on the ice for just five shifts on Thursday before he left the game with a lower-body injury. According to Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, he will not return.
Injury details are hard to come by during the playoffs, but Couturier reportedly has a cut.
Couturier hasn’t recorded a point since he got a hat trick and an assist in Game 2 of the Flyers’ first round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, Couturier has still been a big part of Philadelphia’s lineup. Going into Thursday’s game, he was averaging 16:50 minutes per contest in the playoffs and had not recorded less than 13:55 minutes in a single match during Philadelphia’s playoff run.
From the Flyers’ perspective, the good news is that they aren’t scheduled to play again until Sunday, which will give Couturier some time to heal up before Game 4.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)