May 3, 2012, 9:21 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have gotten a lot of use out of their young players during the 2012 postseason, which makes the loss of Sean Couturier all the more devastating. Couturier was on the ice for just five shifts on Thursday before he left the game with a lower-body injury. According to Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, he will not return.
Injury details are hard to come by during the playoffs, but Couturier reportedly has a cut.
Couturier hasn’t recorded a point since he got a hat trick and an assist in Game 2 of the Flyers’ first round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, Couturier has still been a big part of Philadelphia’s lineup. Going into Thursday’s game, he was averaging 16:50 minutes per contest in the playoffs and had not recorded less than 13:55 minutes in a single match during Philadelphia’s playoff run.
From the Flyers’ perspective, the good news is that they aren’t scheduled to play again until Sunday, which will give Couturier some time to heal up before Game 4.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)