After early exit, owner says this year’s Bruins were “better than the team that won the Stanley Cup”
May 3, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs met with the media today for his year-end presser and if you wanted to sum up his thoughts on the season in one word, you could.
“We did expect to get out of that first round this year,” Jacobs said. “We were probably a little better than the team that won the Stanley Cup when you look at the skill level and the age of the players.
“We wanted to do better, we expected to do better and we have every reason to believe we’d do better.”
That sense of disappointment was shared by team president Cam Neely.
“It’s disappointing to lose out in the first round,” he said. “We didn’t have this at all last year. I don’t like this at all and I don’t think anybody in the organization likes it.”
As for some of the key notes from the presser:
– Neely said a “philosophical change” might be required for Boston’s ailing power play. In consecutive years, the PP has faltered in the playoffs (in the last two postseasons combined, the Bruins went 12-for-111.)
– Philosophical change is just fancy talk for “we’re firing our assistant coaches.” It’s not like they’re going to spend the summer reading Nietzsche.
– Overall, the management group sounded disappointed but hardly crestfallen. The younger Jacobs, Charlie, said he was proud of the team and Neely figured the loss would make the team hungrier heading into next year’s training camp.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)