May 2, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
The Alex Ovechkin ice time question isn’t likely to be on the top of the docket for the press when Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter takes the podium tonight, but it’s been an inevitable concern lately. When you employ a player with the NHL’s biggest cap hit and put him on the ice for less than 14 minutes, the questions are going to come.
However you feel about Hunter, he has the courage (or as David Backes might say, the cajones) to do what he thinks is best. Hunter discusses leaning on role players and more in the video from Game 3’s pregame show.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 15
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28