May 2, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Nashville Predators head coach Barry Trotz met with the media following this morning’s skate and had some rather interesting things to say about the suspended duo of Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn.
Here’s transcribed audio (from FSN Arizona’s Todd Walsh):
Reporter: “We’re all referring to this as a one-game benching for the two players, but you probably can’t predict how this is going to play out depending on tonight’s outcome — in terms of your lineup, right?
Trotz: “No, I really can’t. As I said, with our situation tonight, if [they] get it done I expect I’d probably go back with the same group — if they’re the group that gets it done.
“There’s a lot of speculation, and I’ll throw this out because it’s been asked on a lot of shows — we did not know before Game 2 [that Radulov and Kostitsyn broke curfew], we found out after Game 2, and hell would’ve had to freeze over if they would’ve played in Game 2…if I knew before. Plain and simple.
“That’s how I am, that’s how the management team is and that’s how the Nashville Predators are run. There’s a lot of speculation we knew, and that’s a bunch of crap — we didn’t.”
That last bit is key, because it goes beyond Radulov and Kostitsyn hurting the on-ice product. When Trotz and the organization start getting called out, the conversation spills over to integrity and honesty and character, three things you never like to have questioned publicly.
All of this begs the question: Win or lose tonight, do the Preds put the pair back in the lineup for Game 4?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)