May 2, 2012, 9:16 AM EST
The 32-year-old forward has two years remaining on his contract and a massive cap hit ($7.3 million) without the production to match it. Louis Jean of Sportsnet hears from a source, Dave Morrisette of Le Match in Quebec, that Montreal’s plan for Gomez will be to buy him out of his deal this summer.
Gomez’s buy out price will be stiff. Under the current CBA, buying out a veteran player means taking two-thirds of their cap hit and paying it out over twice the length of the remaining years on the deal. What might be worse than paying Gomez to play poorly for you for the next two seasons? Having a gnarly cap hit for the next four years while he plays for someone else.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Gomez means having a cap hit of just over $3.5 million on the books this season followed by a hit of over $4 million next season with two more seasons at $1.67 million just going to waste.
Those are some ugly numbers but with a new CBA on the way, you wonder if Montreal will hold off on buying out Gomez right away because the rules will be different. There’s the chance there will be amnesty buyouts (meaning no cap hit punishment) as well as the possibility that burying contracts in the AHL won’t be allowed anymore. I hope no one told Bergevin the job would be easy.
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 4
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 24
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 52
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 11
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Predators humiliate Leafs with 9-2 victory 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)