May 2, 2012, 9:16 AM EST
The 32-year-old forward has two years remaining on his contract and a massive cap hit ($7.3 million) without the production to match it. Louis Jean of Sportsnet hears from a source, Dave Morrisette of Le Match in Quebec, that Montreal’s plan for Gomez will be to buy him out of his deal this summer.
Gomez’s buy out price will be stiff. Under the current CBA, buying out a veteran player means taking two-thirds of their cap hit and paying it out over twice the length of the remaining years on the deal. What might be worse than paying Gomez to play poorly for you for the next two seasons? Having a gnarly cap hit for the next four years while he plays for someone else.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Gomez means having a cap hit of just over $3.5 million on the books this season followed by a hit of over $4 million next season with two more seasons at $1.67 million just going to waste.
Those are some ugly numbers but with a new CBA on the way, you wonder if Montreal will hold off on buying out Gomez right away because the rules will be different. There’s the chance there will be amnesty buyouts (meaning no cap hit punishment) as well as the possibility that burying contracts in the AHL won’t be allowed anymore. I hope no one told Bergevin the job would be easy.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)