May 2, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
The 32-year-old forward has two years remaining on his contract and a massive cap hit ($7.3 million) without the production to match it. Louis Jean of Sportsnet hears from a source, Dave Morrisette of Le Match in Quebec, that Montreal’s plan for Gomez will be to buy him out of his deal this summer.
Gomez’s buy out price will be stiff. Under the current CBA, buying out a veteran player means taking two-thirds of their cap hit and paying it out over twice the length of the remaining years on the deal. What might be worse than paying Gomez to play poorly for you for the next two seasons? Having a gnarly cap hit for the next four years while he plays for someone else.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Gomez means having a cap hit of just over $3.5 million on the books this season followed by a hit of over $4 million next season with two more seasons at $1.67 million just going to waste.
Those are some ugly numbers but with a new CBA on the way, you wonder if Montreal will hold off on buying out Gomez right away because the rules will be different. There’s the chance there will be amnesty buyouts (meaning no cap hit punishment) as well as the possibility that burying contracts in the AHL won’t be allowed anymore. I hope no one told Bergevin the job would be easy.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)