May 2, 2012, 9:16 AM EST
The 32-year-old forward has two years remaining on his contract and a massive cap hit ($7.3 million) without the production to match it. Louis Jean of Sportsnet hears from a source, Dave Morrisette of Le Match in Quebec, that Montreal’s plan for Gomez will be to buy him out of his deal this summer.
Gomez’s buy out price will be stiff. Under the current CBA, buying out a veteran player means taking two-thirds of their cap hit and paying it out over twice the length of the remaining years on the deal. What might be worse than paying Gomez to play poorly for you for the next two seasons? Having a gnarly cap hit for the next four years while he plays for someone else.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Gomez means having a cap hit of just over $3.5 million on the books this season followed by a hit of over $4 million next season with two more seasons at $1.67 million just going to waste.
Those are some ugly numbers but with a new CBA on the way, you wonder if Montreal will hold off on buying out Gomez right away because the rules will be different. There’s the chance there will be amnesty buyouts (meaning no cap hit punishment) as well as the possibility that burying contracts in the AHL won’t be allowed anymore. I hope no one told Bergevin the job would be easy.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)