May 2, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings fans started (or popularized) it all with octopi. Florida Panthers devotees threw plastic rats into the mix. The twangy atmosphere in Nashville gets even funkier when Predators fans throw their answer to the octopus in the form of southern food staple catfish* but Game 3 introduced a potential new wrinkle.
According to the gang at SB Nation, one of the catfish thrown to the ice might have still been alive. Here are the GIFs that captured the odd spectacle.
Here’s the GIF that indicates that it might have been alive, according to SBN:
Here is what Brian Floyd has to say:
“It’s tail is moving and looking all life-like. It would seem to be clinging to life.”
1) Perhaps and 2) weird.
So what do you think? Does that look like a living catfish to you? How do you rate throwing catfish on the fan participation scale? Share your thoughts. (It’s been a strange week of hockey/hunting cross-pollination, hasn’t it?)
* – Do whiskers equal victory or am I over-thinking it?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5