May 2, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings fans started (or popularized) it all with octopi. Florida Panthers devotees threw plastic rats into the mix. The twangy atmosphere in Nashville gets even funkier when Predators fans throw their answer to the octopus in the form of southern food staple catfish* but Game 3 introduced a potential new wrinkle.
According to the gang at SB Nation, one of the catfish thrown to the ice might have still been alive. Here are the GIFs that captured the odd spectacle.
Here’s the GIF that indicates that it might have been alive, according to SBN:
Here is what Brian Floyd has to say:
“It’s tail is moving and looking all life-like. It would seem to be clinging to life.”
1) Perhaps and 2) weird.
So what do you think? Does that look like a living catfish to you? How do you rate throwing catfish on the fan participation scale? Share your thoughts. (It’s been a strange week of hockey/hunting cross-pollination, hasn’t it?)
* – Do whiskers equal victory or am I over-thinking it?
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54