May 2, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
While news leaked out very early this morning about Montreal naming Blackhawks assistant GM Marc Bergevin to be their new GM, (now confirmed by the Canadiens) the one curious name in the running was NBC’s Pierre McGuire.
McGuire was a GM in the early 90s with the Hartford Whalers but has since become a major personality on TV as an analyst. On CJAD radio out of Canada, McGuire confirmed to Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber he was the runner-up for the Canadiens job. McGuire was also in the running for the job with Lightning assistant GM Julien Brisebois. Brisebois confirmed to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie that he also was turned down for the job.
McGuire’s been close to landing GM jobs in the past, but this opportunity with Montreal was the closest he’s come in years. While we’re more than happy to have McGuire stay on TV and fill us with information during broadcasts, you have to feel for him because he’s come so close to landing a GM job just to fall short.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)