May 2, 2012, 8:54 AM EST
While news leaked out very early this morning about Montreal naming Blackhawks assistant GM Marc Bergevin to be their new GM, (now confirmed by the Canadiens) the one curious name in the running was NBC’s Pierre McGuire.
McGuire was a GM in the early 90s with the Hartford Whalers but has since become a major personality on TV as an analyst. On CJAD radio out of Canada, McGuire confirmed to Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber he was the runner-up for the Canadiens job. McGuire was also in the running for the job with Lightning assistant GM Julien Brisebois. Brisebois confirmed to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie that he also was turned down for the job.
McGuire’s been close to landing GM jobs in the past, but this opportunity with Montreal was the closest he’s come in years. While we’re more than happy to have McGuire stay on TV and fill us with information during broadcasts, you have to feel for him because he’s come so close to landing a GM job just to fall short.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)