May 2, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
As any hardcore hockey fan will tell you, it’s not just about the goals and obvious highlights. The almost-there moments and big hits can be just as tantalizing as the moments that decide the game in a more literal sense.
Take this outstanding shift from Washington Capitals center Matt Hendricks for example. He lands a devastating (and clean) hit on New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh and then sends a pass that Troy Brouwer somehow fails to bury for the game-winner:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yup, you can’t get much better than that without actually getting the deciding tally.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)