May 2, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
As any hardcore hockey fan will tell you, it’s not just about the goals and obvious highlights. The almost-there moments and big hits can be just as tantalizing as the moments that decide the game in a more literal sense.
Take this outstanding shift from Washington Capitals center Matt Hendricks for example. He lands a devastating (and clean) hit on New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh and then sends a pass that Troy Brouwer somehow fails to bury for the game-winner:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yup, you can’t get much better than that without actually getting the deciding tally.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)