May 2, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Some intriguing news out of Calgary today as the Flames have agreed on a one-year, $3.8 million deal with KHL standout Roman Cervenka.
“Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play,” said GM Jay Feaster. “Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre.”
Cervenka, 26, has starred with Omsk Avangard of the KHL over the last two years. He was named an All-Star, led the KHL in goalscoring and led the recently-finished playoffs in points (22 in 20 games).
He also represented the Czech Republic at the 2010 Winter Olympics and was Jaromir Jagr‘s linemate during Jagr’s final year with Omsk.
“[Flames assistant GM] John Weisbrod went to see him play early in the KHL Playoffs and came away confirming everything we had heard from our scouts in Europe,” Feaster continued. “We made an aggressive pitch to convince him that Calgary was the perfect place for him to start his NHL career, and we are extremely pleased Roman agreed.”
The Cervenka signing could spell the end of Olli Jokinen‘s time in Calgary. The 33-year-old Finn is an unrestricted free agent and faded badly down the stretch, posting a minus-14 rating while scoring just two goals with no assists.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 0
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 42
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)