May 2, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
Some intriguing news out of Calgary today as the Flames have agreed on a one-year, $3.8 million deal with KHL standout Roman Cervenka.
“Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play,” said GM Jay Feaster. “Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre.”
Cervenka, 26, has starred with Omsk Avangard of the KHL over the last two years. He was named an All-Star, led the KHL in goalscoring and led the recently-finished playoffs in points (22 in 20 games).
He also represented the Czech Republic at the 2010 Winter Olympics and was Jaromir Jagr‘s linemate during Jagr’s final year with Omsk.
“[Flames assistant GM] John Weisbrod went to see him play early in the KHL Playoffs and came away confirming everything we had heard from our scouts in Europe,” Feaster continued. “We made an aggressive pitch to convince him that Calgary was the perfect place for him to start his NHL career, and we are extremely pleased Roman agreed.”
The Cervenka signing could spell the end of Olli Jokinen‘s time in Calgary. The 33-year-old Finn is an unrestricted free agent and faded badly down the stretch, posting a minus-14 rating while scoring just two goals with no assists.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 3
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)