May 2, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Some intriguing news out of Calgary today as the Flames have agreed on a one-year, $3.8 million deal with KHL standout Roman Cervenka.
“Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play,” said GM Jay Feaster. “Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre.”
Cervenka, 26, has starred with Omsk Avangard of the KHL over the last two years. He was named an All-Star, led the KHL in goalscoring and led the recently-finished playoffs in points (22 in 20 games).
He also represented the Czech Republic at the 2010 Winter Olympics and was Jaromir Jagr‘s linemate during Jagr’s final year with Omsk.
“[Flames assistant GM] John Weisbrod went to see him play early in the KHL Playoffs and came away confirming everything we had heard from our scouts in Europe,” Feaster continued. “We made an aggressive pitch to convince him that Calgary was the perfect place for him to start his NHL career, and we are extremely pleased Roman agreed.”
The Cervenka signing could spell the end of Olli Jokinen‘s time in Calgary. The 33-year-old Finn is an unrestricted free agent and faded badly down the stretch, posting a minus-14 rating while scoring just two goals with no assists.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal