May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Peter DeBoer knows Ilya Kovalchuk will return to the Devils lineup.
He just doesn’t know when.
That was the message on Wednesday morning as the New Jersey head coach appeared on WFAN 660 AM to discuss his team’s 4-1 victory over the Flyers — and, of course, the status of his injured star.
“I’m sure you’re going to see [Kovalchuk] again in the series,” DeBoer said. “It could be sooner than later.”
The Devils have been extremely tight-lipped about the nature of Kovalchuk’s injury — shocking from a Lou Lamoriello-led team, I know — but yesterday, Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reported two sources said Kovalchuk had “been icing a back injury, which got progressively worse in the last few days.”
By the way, it’s probably worth noting that — in their first game sans-Kovalchuk this postseason — the Devils scored four goals for just the second time in eight games and put 35 shots on goal, four more than their average.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)