May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Peter DeBoer knows Ilya Kovalchuk will return to the Devils lineup.
He just doesn’t know when.
That was the message on Wednesday morning as the New Jersey head coach appeared on WFAN 660 AM to discuss his team’s 4-1 victory over the Flyers — and, of course, the status of his injured star.
“I’m sure you’re going to see [Kovalchuk] again in the series,” DeBoer said. “It could be sooner than later.”
The Devils have been extremely tight-lipped about the nature of Kovalchuk’s injury — shocking from a Lou Lamoriello-led team, I know — but yesterday, Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reported two sources said Kovalchuk had “been icing a back injury, which got progressively worse in the last few days.”
By the way, it’s probably worth noting that — in their first game sans-Kovalchuk this postseason — the Devils scored four goals for just the second time in eight games and put 35 shots on goal, four more than their average.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)