May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Peter DeBoer knows Ilya Kovalchuk will return to the Devils lineup.
He just doesn’t know when.
That was the message on Wednesday morning as the New Jersey head coach appeared on WFAN 660 AM to discuss his team’s 4-1 victory over the Flyers — and, of course, the status of his injured star.
“I’m sure you’re going to see [Kovalchuk] again in the series,” DeBoer said. “It could be sooner than later.”
The Devils have been extremely tight-lipped about the nature of Kovalchuk’s injury — shocking from a Lou Lamoriello-led team, I know — but yesterday, Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reported two sources said Kovalchuk had “been icing a back injury, which got progressively worse in the last few days.”
By the way, it’s probably worth noting that — in their first game sans-Kovalchuk this postseason — the Devils scored four goals for just the second time in eight games and put 35 shots on goal, four more than their average.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)