May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Peter DeBoer knows Ilya Kovalchuk will return to the Devils lineup.
He just doesn’t know when.
That was the message on Wednesday morning as the New Jersey head coach appeared on WFAN 660 AM to discuss his team’s 4-1 victory over the Flyers — and, of course, the status of his injured star.
“I’m sure you’re going to see [Kovalchuk] again in the series,” DeBoer said. “It could be sooner than later.”
The Devils have been extremely tight-lipped about the nature of Kovalchuk’s injury — shocking from a Lou Lamoriello-led team, I know — but yesterday, Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reported two sources said Kovalchuk had “been icing a back injury, which got progressively worse in the last few days.”
By the way, it’s probably worth noting that — in their first game sans-Kovalchuk this postseason — the Devils scored four goals for just the second time in eight games and put 35 shots on goal, four more than their average.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)