May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Peter DeBoer knows Ilya Kovalchuk will return to the Devils lineup.
He just doesn’t know when.
That was the message on Wednesday morning as the New Jersey head coach appeared on WFAN 660 AM to discuss his team’s 4-1 victory over the Flyers — and, of course, the status of his injured star.
“I’m sure you’re going to see [Kovalchuk] again in the series,” DeBoer said. “It could be sooner than later.”
The Devils have been extremely tight-lipped about the nature of Kovalchuk’s injury — shocking from a Lou Lamoriello-led team, I know — but yesterday, Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reported two sources said Kovalchuk had “been icing a back injury, which got progressively worse in the last few days.”
By the way, it’s probably worth noting that — in their first game sans-Kovalchuk this postseason — the Devils scored four goals for just the second time in eight games and put 35 shots on goal, four more than their average.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)