May 2, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
By now we’ve read about the rumors saying the Carolina Hurricanes are curious about adding another Staal brother to their roster in Jordan Staal. We’ve also read plenty about Carolina’s hopes to land potential free agent Zach Parise to their roster as well.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford did nothing to dispel that talk in speaking with Chip Alexander of the News & Observer and saying he has high hopes of making a big splash this summer.
“What we’re working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it’s a center or a wing,” Rutherford said. “Eric can play the wing. He has played the wing before and played there in the (2010 Olympics (for Team Canada). He has played very well on the wing.”
A center or a wing you say? Hey, Jordan Staal plays center and Parise plays wing. How about that!
The problem with gunning for Staal is that he’s got one year left on his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after that. If Carolina is to deal for him, they have to get him re-signed. Parise, on the other hand, just needs the right contract offer come July 1 should New Jersey not re-sign him.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 32
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25