May 2, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
By now we’ve read about the rumors saying the Carolina Hurricanes are curious about adding another Staal brother to their roster in Jordan Staal. We’ve also read plenty about Carolina’s hopes to land potential free agent Zach Parise to their roster as well.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford did nothing to dispel that talk in speaking with Chip Alexander of the News & Observer and saying he has high hopes of making a big splash this summer.
“What we’re working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it’s a center or a wing,” Rutherford said. “Eric can play the wing. He has played the wing before and played there in the (2010 Olympics (for Team Canada). He has played very well on the wing.”
A center or a wing you say? Hey, Jordan Staal plays center and Parise plays wing. How about that!
The problem with gunning for Staal is that he’s got one year left on his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after that. If Carolina is to deal for him, they have to get him re-signed. Parise, on the other hand, just needs the right contract offer come July 1 should New Jersey not re-sign him.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)