May 2, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
By now we’ve read about the rumors saying the Carolina Hurricanes are curious about adding another Staal brother to their roster in Jordan Staal. We’ve also read plenty about Carolina’s hopes to land potential free agent Zach Parise to their roster as well.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford did nothing to dispel that talk in speaking with Chip Alexander of the News & Observer and saying he has high hopes of making a big splash this summer.
“What we’re working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it’s a center or a wing,” Rutherford said. “Eric can play the wing. He has played the wing before and played there in the (2010 Olympics (for Team Canada). He has played very well on the wing.”
A center or a wing you say? Hey, Jordan Staal plays center and Parise plays wing. How about that!
The problem with gunning for Staal is that he’s got one year left on his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after that. If Carolina is to deal for him, they have to get him re-signed. Parise, on the other hand, just needs the right contract offer come July 1 should New Jersey not re-sign him.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)