May 2, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
By now we’ve read about the rumors saying the Carolina Hurricanes are curious about adding another Staal brother to their roster in Jordan Staal. We’ve also read plenty about Carolina’s hopes to land potential free agent Zach Parise to their roster as well.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford did nothing to dispel that talk in speaking with Chip Alexander of the News & Observer and saying he has high hopes of making a big splash this summer.
“What we’re working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it’s a center or a wing,” Rutherford said. “Eric can play the wing. He has played the wing before and played there in the (2010 Olympics (for Team Canada). He has played very well on the wing.”
A center or a wing you say? Hey, Jordan Staal plays center and Parise plays wing. How about that!
The problem with gunning for Staal is that he’s got one year left on his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after that. If Carolina is to deal for him, they have to get him re-signed. Parise, on the other hand, just needs the right contract offer come July 1 should New Jersey not re-sign him.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 8
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39