May 1, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Since we’ve reached the point where John Tortorella conducting a presser is infinitely more interesting than the actual presser, it’s not surprising a reporter finally asked him about it.
Here’s the blow-by-blow from Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News:
Reporter: “Are you this way with us just because you don’t like dealing with us?”
Reporter: “Or is there a strategy behind not …”
Tortorella: “What are you being a wise a**?”
Reporter: “No, I’m being sincere.”
Tortorella: “I’m being sincere, too. I’m not gonna give you much information. Some of you guys sit here and tell me I’m curt or whatever. I’m not gonna have a staring contest. If you don’t ask me questions, I’ll just leave. So that’s the way it is. I’m sorry I’m not a guy that wants to converse about everything during the playoffs. I’m not.
A reporter then asked if Gaborik had one of his better games on Monday night, to which Tortorella replied, “He was OK.”
I imagine this Tortorella v. Media situation will keeping getting more meta/self aware, until it eventually spawns into an episode of Community.
Here’s video of the presser.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)