May 1, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
Given the Carolina Hurricanes already employ two of the four hockey-playing Staal brothers (Eric and Jared), it would only make sense they’d be interested in a third.
Right, according to the wonderful world of social media.
That’s the rumor du jour regarding the future of Pittsburgh forward Jordan Staal. To understand how we got from “Staal leading the Pens in playoff scoring” to “Staal going to ‘Canes country”, follow this handy timeline:
– Pens GM Ray Shero conducts a lengthy interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, saying he “might run into problems” trying to keep all three of his gifted centers: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Staal.
Malkin is on the books until 2014, Crosby and Staal 2013. But of the three, Crosby and Malkin have no-movement clauses. Staal doesn’t.
– Following up on comments from CBC’s Glenn Healy (“[Staal] is not going to ask to be traded, but the hockey world knows something has got to happen,”) the Edmonton Journal floats the idea of the Oilers trading the first overall pick at the 2012 Draft for Staal.
– TSN’s Bob McKenzie then picks up on the trade banter:
“There’s a lot of Jordan Staal talk, where his long-term home is (PIT or elsewhere?). Being a year from UFA means he’s driving the bus.
“PIT can’t get full market value in trade for J Staal if he’s one and done in the new locale. So Staal ultimately ends up wherever he wants.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if all three Staal brothers eventually want to play on same team. Eric, BTW, has four more years on his CAR deal.
“Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn’t a Penguin—not suggesting he’s not—a Cane seems logical.
“Bottom line is in 1 yr, it’s entirely his call. That power/influence dramatically impacts potential move this summer.”
– Mark Madden of Penguins Radio (WXDX 105.9 Pittsburgh) reports on the ‘Canes angle: “Staal has apparently said that if Pens trade him, he’d prefer to go to Carolina to play with brother Eric.”
– Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer continues this narrative. “Canes would (will?) be very interested,” Alexander tweets. “I would not be stunned if Jordan Staal becomes a Hurricane.”
– Then, in a piece claiming Carolina GM Jim Rutherford’s been greenlit by owner Peter Karmanos to acquire “a top-line player,” The News and Observer’s Luke DeCock says Staal is a legit free agent target.
So there’s your timeline.
Now that we’ve angried up the blood, let’s put everything in perspective. One, nothing is imminent (as Madden notes in a subsequent tweet). Two, Carolina seems to be in need of wingers and blueliners more than centers.
Three, nobody’s actually talked to Staal, who is probably laughing on a deck somewhere in Thunder Bay.
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles