May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
Gary Roberts has apologized to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis for calling him a “moron.”
“I absolutely apologize for using that word. I should not have used that word,” Roberts told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.
“Emotion was part of my game (when I played) and sometimes I always didn’t make the right choice, and you can see I’m still not making the right choices in maybe that word selection.”
Roberts dropped the M-bomb after Gillis justified trading Cody Hodgson, one of Roberts’ clients, by telling reporters, “I spent more time on Cody’s issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years.”
Translation: Hodgson and his “issues” — disagreements about playing time supposedly the most recent — weren’t worth the headaches.
Roberts may regret his choice of word, but he doesn’t apologize for defending Hodgson.
“I think people need to recognize the kind of person Cody Hodgson is and he’s absolutely the furthest thing in the world than how he is perceived right now,” Roberts said.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)