May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Gary Roberts has apologized to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis for calling him a “moron.”
“I absolutely apologize for using that word. I should not have used that word,” Roberts told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.
“Emotion was part of my game (when I played) and sometimes I always didn’t make the right choice, and you can see I’m still not making the right choices in maybe that word selection.”
Roberts dropped the M-bomb after Gillis justified trading Cody Hodgson, one of Roberts’ clients, by telling reporters, “I spent more time on Cody’s issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years.”
Translation: Hodgson and his “issues” — disagreements about playing time supposedly the most recent — weren’t worth the headaches.
Roberts may regret his choice of word, but he doesn’t apologize for defending Hodgson.
“I think people need to recognize the kind of person Cody Hodgson is and he’s absolutely the furthest thing in the world than how he is perceived right now,” Roberts said.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)