May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Gary Roberts has apologized to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis for calling him a “moron.”
“I absolutely apologize for using that word. I should not have used that word,” Roberts told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.
“Emotion was part of my game (when I played) and sometimes I always didn’t make the right choice, and you can see I’m still not making the right choices in maybe that word selection.”
Roberts dropped the M-bomb after Gillis justified trading Cody Hodgson, one of Roberts’ clients, by telling reporters, “I spent more time on Cody’s issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years.”
Translation: Hodgson and his “issues” — disagreements about playing time supposedly the most recent — weren’t worth the headaches.
Roberts may regret his choice of word, but he doesn’t apologize for defending Hodgson.
“I think people need to recognize the kind of person Cody Hodgson is and he’s absolutely the furthest thing in the world than how he is perceived right now,” Roberts said.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)