May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Gary Roberts has apologized to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis for calling him a “moron.”
“I absolutely apologize for using that word. I should not have used that word,” Roberts told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.
“Emotion was part of my game (when I played) and sometimes I always didn’t make the right choice, and you can see I’m still not making the right choices in maybe that word selection.”
Roberts dropped the M-bomb after Gillis justified trading Cody Hodgson, one of Roberts’ clients, by telling reporters, “I spent more time on Cody’s issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years.”
Translation: Hodgson and his “issues” — disagreements about playing time supposedly the most recent — weren’t worth the headaches.
Roberts may regret his choice of word, but he doesn’t apologize for defending Hodgson.
“I think people need to recognize the kind of person Cody Hodgson is and he’s absolutely the furthest thing in the world than how he is perceived right now,” Roberts said.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 26
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 57
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte