May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Gary Roberts has apologized to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis for calling him a “moron.”
“I absolutely apologize for using that word. I should not have used that word,” Roberts told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today.
“Emotion was part of my game (when I played) and sometimes I always didn’t make the right choice, and you can see I’m still not making the right choices in maybe that word selection.”
Roberts dropped the M-bomb after Gillis justified trading Cody Hodgson, one of Roberts’ clients, by telling reporters, “I spent more time on Cody’s issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years.”
Translation: Hodgson and his “issues” — disagreements about playing time supposedly the most recent — weren’t worth the headaches.
Roberts may regret his choice of word, but he doesn’t apologize for defending Hodgson.
“I think people need to recognize the kind of person Cody Hodgson is and he’s absolutely the furthest thing in the world than how he is perceived right now,” Roberts said.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)