May 1, 2012, 12:30 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues don’t have a high-end goalie like Jonathan Quick, but they seemingly had a nice thing going with the Jaroslav Halak-Brian Elliott one-two punch. With Elliott struggling along with the rest of the team, many Blues fans probably hope that Halak might ride to the rescue, but Ken Hitchcock provided some glum news after Game 2′s stunning loss.
Hitchcock ruled out Halak for the semifinals, so if the Blues are going to come back against the Los Angeles Kings, they’ll have to do it with Elliott or someone else.
It’s wrong to pin all the blame on Elliott because the St. Louis system seems to be collapsing under the Kings’ pressure, but Hitchcock didn’t seem too interested in giving prospect Jake Allen a shot. Many coaches would probably switch goalies out after a 4-0 first period, but Elliott stayed in net and the Blues failed to rebound.
What do you think the Blues should do about their goaltending situation? Do they have any choice but to go with Elliott?
And do they at least slightly regret trading Ben Bishop now?
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)