May 1, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues don’t have a high-end goalie like Jonathan Quick, but they seemingly had a nice thing going with the Jaroslav Halak–Brian Elliott one-two punch. With Elliott struggling along with the rest of the team, many Blues fans probably hope that Halak might ride to the rescue, but Ken Hitchcock provided some glum news after Game 2’s stunning loss.
Hitchcock ruled out Halak for the semifinals, so if the Blues are going to come back against the Los Angeles Kings, they’ll have to do it with Elliott or someone else.
It’s wrong to pin all the blame on Elliott because the St. Louis system seems to be collapsing under the Kings’ pressure, but Hitchcock didn’t seem too interested in giving prospect Jake Allen a shot. Many coaches would probably switch goalies out after a 4-0 first period, but Elliott stayed in net and the Blues failed to rebound.
What do you think the Blues should do about their goaltending situation? Do they have any choice but to go with Elliott?
And do they at least slightly regret trading Ben Bishop now?
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 3
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)