May 1, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues don’t have a high-end goalie like Jonathan Quick, but they seemingly had a nice thing going with the Jaroslav Halak-Brian Elliott one-two punch. With Elliott struggling along with the rest of the team, many Blues fans probably hope that Halak might ride to the rescue, but Ken Hitchcock provided some glum news after Game 2′s stunning loss.
Hitchcock ruled out Halak for the semifinals, so if the Blues are going to come back against the Los Angeles Kings, they’ll have to do it with Elliott or someone else.
It’s wrong to pin all the blame on Elliott because the St. Louis system seems to be collapsing under the Kings’ pressure, but Hitchcock didn’t seem too interested in giving prospect Jake Allen a shot. Many coaches would probably switch goalies out after a 4-0 first period, but Elliott stayed in net and the Blues failed to rebound.
What do you think the Blues should do about their goaltending situation? Do they have any choice but to go with Elliott?
And do they at least slightly regret trading Ben Bishop now?
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner