May 1, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
Last summer, the Montreal Canadiens took a leap of faith that Andrei Markov could recover from knee issues, signing him to a hefty contract extension that looks even riskier today. P.K. Subban is much younger, but it’s hard not to wonder about history repeating itself in a negative way after the Habs announced that the young blueliner (and impending restricted free agent) will not play in the 2012 World Hockey Championships because of a “minor knee injury.”
Here’s the full release from the Canadiens:
Montreal Canadiens assistant general manager Larry Carrière announced tonight that defenseman P.K. Subban will be returning to Montreal and will not participate in the World Hockey Championships. Subban suffered a minor knee injury that would have sidelined him for approximately two weeks.
He will be re-evaluated by the team doctors.
Perhaps it really is just a minor issue, but either way, the Canadiens face a lot of tough questions during this off-season. The most pressing problem comes at the top, where the Habs must make decisions about their next general manager and head coach.
It doesn’t stop there, however, as that new GM will need to sign young cornerstones Subban and Carey Price. Heavens forbid that we’ll look back at the triple-low-five with regrets.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)