May 1, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
Last summer, the Montreal Canadiens took a leap of faith that Andrei Markov could recover from knee issues, signing him to a hefty contract extension that looks even riskier today. P.K. Subban is much younger, but it’s hard not to wonder about history repeating itself in a negative way after the Habs announced that the young blueliner (and impending restricted free agent) will not play in the 2012 World Hockey Championships because of a “minor knee injury.”
Here’s the full release from the Canadiens:
Montreal Canadiens assistant general manager Larry Carrière announced tonight that defenseman P.K. Subban will be returning to Montreal and will not participate in the World Hockey Championships. Subban suffered a minor knee injury that would have sidelined him for approximately two weeks.
He will be re-evaluated by the team doctors.
Perhaps it really is just a minor issue, but either way, the Canadiens face a lot of tough questions during this off-season. The most pressing problem comes at the top, where the Habs must make decisions about their next general manager and head coach.
It doesn’t stop there, however, as that new GM will need to sign young cornerstones Subban and Carey Price. Heavens forbid that we’ll look back at the triple-low-five with regrets.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)