May 1, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
Last summer, the Montreal Canadiens took a leap of faith that Andrei Markov could recover from knee issues, signing him to a hefty contract extension that looks even riskier today. P.K. Subban is much younger, but it’s hard not to wonder about history repeating itself in a negative way after the Habs announced that the young blueliner (and impending restricted free agent) will not play in the 2012 World Hockey Championships because of a “minor knee injury.”
Here’s the full release from the Canadiens:
Montreal Canadiens assistant general manager Larry Carrière announced tonight that defenseman P.K. Subban will be returning to Montreal and will not participate in the World Hockey Championships. Subban suffered a minor knee injury that would have sidelined him for approximately two weeks.
He will be re-evaluated by the team doctors.
Perhaps it really is just a minor issue, but either way, the Canadiens face a lot of tough questions during this off-season. The most pressing problem comes at the top, where the Habs must make decisions about their next general manager and head coach.
It doesn’t stop there, however, as that new GM will need to sign young cornerstones Subban and Carey Price. Heavens forbid that we’ll look back at the triple-low-five with regrets.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)