May 1, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
Last summer, the Montreal Canadiens took a leap of faith that Andrei Markov could recover from knee issues, signing him to a hefty contract extension that looks even riskier today. P.K. Subban is much younger, but it’s hard not to wonder about history repeating itself in a negative way after the Habs announced that the young blueliner (and impending restricted free agent) will not play in the 2012 World Hockey Championships because of a “minor knee injury.”
Here’s the full release from the Canadiens:
Montreal Canadiens assistant general manager Larry Carrière announced tonight that defenseman P.K. Subban will be returning to Montreal and will not participate in the World Hockey Championships. Subban suffered a minor knee injury that would have sidelined him for approximately two weeks.
He will be re-evaluated by the team doctors.
Perhaps it really is just a minor issue, but either way, the Canadiens face a lot of tough questions during this off-season. The most pressing problem comes at the top, where the Habs must make decisions about their next general manager and head coach.
It doesn’t stop there, however, as that new GM will need to sign young cornerstones Subban and Carey Price. Heavens forbid that we’ll look back at the triple-low-five with regrets.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)