May 1, 2012, 2:34 PM EST
Including the first two games of their Western Conference semifinal, the St. Louis Blues have now played the Los Angeles Kings six times this year.
And here’s how their power play has fared in each of those six games.
Oct. 18 (Kings 5, Blues 0): 0-for-4
Nov. 22 (Kings 3, Blues 2): 0-for-6
Feb. 3 (Blues 1, Kings 0): 0-for-1
Mar. 22 (Kings 1, Blues 0): 0-for-3
Apr. 28 (Kings 3, Blues 1): 0-for-3
Apr. 30 (Kings 5, Blues 2): 0-for-9
Add it all up, and St. Louis has gone 0-for-26 on the power play against Los Angeles this year.
Yeah. Zero for twenty-six.
In addition to, you know, not putting pucks in the opponent’s goal, there’s another problem with the Blues power play: LA has scored shorthanded goals in consecutive contests.
While scoring down a man is the Kings’ strength — they’ve scored four shorties this postseason, as many as the other 15 teams combined — it’s something St. Louis almost never let happen. The Blues allowed just three shorthanded goals in 82 regular season contests.
“Shorthanded goals take away a lot of momentum,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We’ve had two shorthanded goals [against] in two games. Careless play by us.”
If the Blues have any shot of getting back in this series, they’ll have to sort out the PP. It was arguably the biggest reason why St. Louis dispatched of San Jose in five games — the Blues went 6-for-18 overall with two of the four game-winners coming on the PP.
Head coach Ken Hitchcock knows things have to change.
“The way we played on the power play doesn’t feel good,” he told NHL.com. “But we’ve got two days to regroup here and put our best forward.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)