May 1, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
A surprise out of Philly this morning as Devils GM Lou Lamoriello addressed the media regarding the condition of Ilya Kovalchuk.
Lamoriello says Kovalchuk will miss tonight’s Game 2 against the Flyers thanks to a lower body injury, an ailment he developed during the first round against Florida. Kovalchuk looked less-than stellar in Game 1 and has appeared to play hurt through most of the playoffs. Lamoriello says Kovalchuk is day-to-day.
Whenever he’s been asked about whether he’s hurt or not, Kovalchuk has said he’s perfectly healthy. When he was pressed about his health after Game 1, however, he bristled at the question continuing to insist he was fine.
Seeing is believing, however, and now the Devils will have to make due without one of their most important players. Taking Kovalchuk’s spot in the lineup will be Tim Sestito and finding a way to juggle the lines without Kovalchuk will be a tall task for coach Peter DeBoer.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54