May 1, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
A surprise out of Philly this morning as Devils GM Lou Lamoriello addressed the media regarding the condition of Ilya Kovalchuk.
Lamoriello says Kovalchuk will miss tonight’s Game 2 against the Flyers thanks to a lower body injury, an ailment he developed during the first round against Florida. Kovalchuk looked less-than stellar in Game 1 and has appeared to play hurt through most of the playoffs. Lamoriello says Kovalchuk is day-to-day.
Whenever he’s been asked about whether he’s hurt or not, Kovalchuk has said he’s perfectly healthy. When he was pressed about his health after Game 1, however, he bristled at the question continuing to insist he was fine.
Seeing is believing, however, and now the Devils will have to make due without one of their most important players. Taking Kovalchuk’s spot in the lineup will be Tim Sestito and finding a way to juggle the lines without Kovalchuk will be a tall task for coach Peter DeBoer.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)