May 1, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
A surprise out of Philly this morning as Devils GM Lou Lamoriello addressed the media regarding the condition of Ilya Kovalchuk.
Lamoriello says Kovalchuk will miss tonight’s Game 2 against the Flyers thanks to a lower body injury, an ailment he developed during the first round against Florida. Kovalchuk looked less-than stellar in Game 1 and has appeared to play hurt through most of the playoffs. Lamoriello says Kovalchuk is day-to-day.
Whenever he’s been asked about whether he’s hurt or not, Kovalchuk has said he’s perfectly healthy. When he was pressed about his health after Game 1, however, he bristled at the question continuing to insist he was fine.
Seeing is believing, however, and now the Devils will have to make due without one of their most important players. Taking Kovalchuk’s spot in the lineup will be Tim Sestito and finding a way to juggle the lines without Kovalchuk will be a tall task for coach Peter DeBoer.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)