May 1, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes says that the team needs to “look in the mirror” and “show some cajones” to get back in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. Still, it would be nice to get their hidden gem of a defenseman Alex Pietrangelo back for Game 3, but Ken Hitchcock’s update is mostly pessimistic.
Hitchcock provided this not-so-positive (yet vague enough to instill some hope) guess to Jeremy Rutherford.
“If he’s able to practice tomorrow that’s a big step, but I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Hitchcock said. “He’s injured. If the game was today, he’s not ready to play. We’ll just see how it works out.”
Again, that’s doesn’t seem too promising … although Game 3 won’t happen until Thursday, so there’s still time. (It’ll start at 10 pm ET on NBC Sports Network, by the way.)
The Blues might just want to assume that they’ll be working without their best defenseman (and some might say best player) and then consider him a huge, maybe Drew Doughty-level bonus if he plays after all.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 5
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 14
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13