May 1, 2012, 8:07 PM EST
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes says that the team needs to “look in the mirror” and “show some cajones” to get back in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. Still, it would be nice to get their hidden gem of a defenseman Alex Pietrangelo back for Game 3, but Ken Hitchcock’s update is mostly pessimistic.
Hitchcock provided this not-so-positive (yet vague enough to instill some hope) guess to Jeremy Rutherford.
“If he’s able to practice tomorrow that’s a big step, but I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Hitchcock said. “He’s injured. If the game was today, he’s not ready to play. We’ll just see how it works out.”
Again, that’s doesn’t seem too promising … although Game 3 won’t happen until Thursday, so there’s still time. (It’ll start at 10 pm ET on NBC Sports Network, by the way.)
The Blues might just want to assume that they’ll be working without their best defenseman (and some might say best player) and then consider him a huge, maybe Drew Doughty-level bonus if he plays after all.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)