May 1, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues captain David Backes says that the team needs to “look in the mirror” and “show some cajones” to get back in their series against the Los Angeles Kings. Still, it would be nice to get their hidden gem of a defenseman Alex Pietrangelo back for Game 3, but Ken Hitchcock’s update is mostly pessimistic.
Hitchcock provided this not-so-positive (yet vague enough to instill some hope) guess to Jeremy Rutherford.
“If he’s able to practice tomorrow that’s a big step, but I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Hitchcock said. “He’s injured. If the game was today, he’s not ready to play. We’ll just see how it works out.”
Again, that’s doesn’t seem too promising … although Game 3 won’t happen until Thursday, so there’s still time. (It’ll start at 10 pm ET on NBC Sports Network, by the way.)
The Blues might just want to assume that they’ll be working without their best defenseman (and some might say best player) and then consider him a huge, maybe Drew Doughty-level bonus if he plays after all.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)