May 1, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
The 6-foot-3, 200-pound power forward is coming off a stellar Game 1 of Philadelphia’s Eastern Conference semifinal against the New Jersey Devils. JVR scored once, put five shots on goal and finished plus-3 in 17:31 of ice time. The ice time total was huge, more than his first two playoff appearances (Games 5/6 vs. Pittsburgh) combined.
As such, he’s being lauded with compliments from teammates and coaches alike.
“He is a beast,” Claude Giroux told CBC. “He looks like the James from last year in the playoffs. He is so strong and so fast. He has everything a player would want.
“He was unbelievable again.”
“The way he played yesterday was simply amazing,” Briere said. “He changes everything up front. Now we have another player other teams have to worry about it.
“We already have enough offence. Add James to the mix and it’s a big addition. His play in the second and third period, the way he was skating around defencemen and the scoring chances he created on top of that was a huge part of the difference in us winning.”
JVR he missed 39 games this season because of three separate injuries (groin, concussion, foot) but still managed 11 goals and 13 assists in just over half a season. Regular season success has been fleeting but, with his size, speed and ability to drive the net, he’s immensely valuable in the postseason, which is where he does the majority of his damage.
He had seven goals in 11 playoff games last year and looked to be Philly’s most dangerous forward on most nights.
Against New Jersey, he’s using his large frame and parking it in Martin Brodeur‘s kitchen. JVR provided the screen on Briere’s overtime winner and Devils coach Peter DeBoer recognized his team needs to do a better job of getting van Riemsdyk out of Brodeur’s way.
“We have to do a better job of boxing out in front of Marty,” Devils coach Peter DeBoer said Monday. “We also have to do a better job of limiting the time they spend in our end of the ice. We need to clear the puck out and keep the puck in the other end.”
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)