May 1, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Aside from “generalized chaos” and perhaps schizophrenic goaltending, there wasn’t much you could really depend on with a Philadelphia Flyers playoff game so far. The one thing that seemingly seemed constant was that Philly would push the pace, though.
Well, until Game 2 against the New Jersey Devils, when they seemingly fell asleep after gaining a 1-0 lead to eventually fall to New Jersey 4-1, tying the series at 1-1. If there’s one thing we know about the 2012 playoffs, it’s that it might not be safe to assume much of anything.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Maybe the third period was a little rough, but don’t scapegoat Ilya Bryzgalov. He kept the Flyers ahead 1-0 when the Devils generated a 12-2 (at one point 12-0) shot disadvantage in the second period.
- Still, the Flyers must have been daffy to assume he could pull a Braden Holtby and allow them to turtle their way to win though, right?
- As much as this game was about Philly’s stunning shoulder shrug of a performance, the Devils deserve a lot of credit for absolutely pounding the Flyers. Could it be that they’re actuallyjust that much better?
- The Devils managed to win without Ilya Kovalchuk. I’ll go ahead and preemptively disagree with this question, but do you think they were better off without him in Game 2?
- Speaking of (formerly) injured Devils, Travis Zajac was out most of the season but he’s on fire right now. Is he an underrated X-factor in this series?
- For all the Danny Briere praise, he was at least partially to blame for some lax defense on Devils goals. Is he on the top of the list of players who “believed their press clippings” too much or is just an off-night?
- So, who do you think takes this series now?
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)