May 1, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Aside from “generalized chaos” and perhaps schizophrenic goaltending, there wasn’t much you could really depend on with a Philadelphia Flyers playoff game so far. The one thing that seemingly seemed constant was that Philly would push the pace, though.
Well, until Game 2 against the New Jersey Devils, when they seemingly fell asleep after gaining a 1-0 lead to eventually fall to New Jersey 4-1, tying the series at 1-1. If there’s one thing we know about the 2012 playoffs, it’s that it might not be safe to assume much of anything.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Maybe the third period was a little rough, but don’t scapegoat Ilya Bryzgalov. He kept the Flyers ahead 1-0 when the Devils generated a 12-2 (at one point 12-0) shot disadvantage in the second period.
- Still, the Flyers must have been daffy to assume he could pull a Braden Holtby and allow them to turtle their way to win though, right?
- As much as this game was about Philly’s stunning shoulder shrug of a performance, the Devils deserve a lot of credit for absolutely pounding the Flyers. Could it be that they’re actuallyjust that much better?
- The Devils managed to win without Ilya Kovalchuk. I’ll go ahead and preemptively disagree with this question, but do you think they were better off without him in Game 2?
- Speaking of (formerly) injured Devils, Travis Zajac was out most of the season but he’s on fire right now. Is he an underrated X-factor in this series?
- For all the Danny Briere praise, he was at least partially to blame for some lax defense on Devils goals. Is he on the top of the list of players who “believed their press clippings” too much or is just an off-night?
- So, who do you think takes this series now?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)