May 1, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Aside from “generalized chaos” and perhaps schizophrenic goaltending, there wasn’t much you could really depend on with a Philadelphia Flyers playoff game so far. The one thing that seemingly seemed constant was that Philly would push the pace, though.
Well, until Game 2 against the New Jersey Devils, when they seemingly fell asleep after gaining a 1-0 lead to eventually fall to New Jersey 4-1, tying the series at 1-1. If there’s one thing we know about the 2012 playoffs, it’s that it might not be safe to assume much of anything.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Maybe the third period was a little rough, but don’t scapegoat Ilya Bryzgalov. He kept the Flyers ahead 1-0 when the Devils generated a 12-2 (at one point 12-0) shot disadvantage in the second period.
- Still, the Flyers must have been daffy to assume he could pull a Braden Holtby and allow them to turtle their way to win though, right?
- As much as this game was about Philly’s stunning shoulder shrug of a performance, the Devils deserve a lot of credit for absolutely pounding the Flyers. Could it be that they’re actuallyjust that much better?
- The Devils managed to win without Ilya Kovalchuk. I’ll go ahead and preemptively disagree with this question, but do you think they were better off without him in Game 2?
- Speaking of (formerly) injured Devils, Travis Zajac was out most of the season but he’s on fire right now. Is he an underrated X-factor in this series?
- For all the Danny Briere praise, he was at least partially to blame for some lax defense on Devils goals. Is he on the top of the list of players who “believed their press clippings” too much or is just an off-night?
- So, who do you think takes this series now?
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)