May 1, 2012, 11:56 PM EST
Out of context, the New Jersey Devils’ 4-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 shouldn’t have been that surprising. After all, the two teams split three defeats each in their six matches in the regular season. The victory wasn’t surprising, but the way they won it kinda was. The Flyers went flat while the Devils were relentless in their Game 2 triumph.
That took some of us off guard, but not Devils coach Peter DeBoer, as he told Tom Gulitti.
“I really felt we would respond like this,” DeBoer said. “It’s not more than I expected. It is what I expected.”
New Jersey showed great poise in shaking off what most of been a frustrating, scoreless second period to eventually make good on their momentum in the third. The Devils generated a 12-2 shot advantage in the middle frame but Ilya Bryzgalov held them at 1-0. That didn’t throw them off, however, as they exploded to a franchise-first four-goal third period to win the game.
Not surprisingly, DeBoer was pleased with the way they shook off that irritation.
“Bryzgalov made some big saves for them early,” DeBoer said. “We just felt we had to stick with it and that resiliency finally paid off.”
“It starts with a guy like Zach,” Clarkson said. “We didn’t give up, we kept battling and when we came in the room between periods, we said to each other, ‘Let’s keep going. Let’s keep working’ We did that and we were successful.”
DeBoer totally saw it coming, too.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46