May 1, 2012, 11:56 PM EDT
Out of context, the New Jersey Devils’ 4-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 shouldn’t have been that surprising. After all, the two teams split three defeats each in their six matches in the regular season. The victory wasn’t surprising, but the way they won it kinda was. The Flyers went flat while the Devils were relentless in their Game 2 triumph.
That took some of us off guard, but not Devils coach Peter DeBoer, as he told Tom Gulitti.
“I really felt we would respond like this,” DeBoer said. “It’s not more than I expected. It is what I expected.”
New Jersey showed great poise in shaking off what most of been a frustrating, scoreless second period to eventually make good on their momentum in the third. The Devils generated a 12-2 shot advantage in the middle frame but Ilya Bryzgalov held them at 1-0. That didn’t throw them off, however, as they exploded to a franchise-first four-goal third period to win the game.
Not surprisingly, DeBoer was pleased with the way they shook off that irritation.
“Bryzgalov made some big saves for them early,” DeBoer said. “We just felt we had to stick with it and that resiliency finally paid off.”
“It starts with a guy like Zach,” Clarkson said. “We didn’t give up, we kept battling and when we came in the room between periods, we said to each other, ‘Let’s keep going. Let’s keep working’ We did that and we were successful.”
DeBoer totally saw it coming, too.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car