May 1, 2012, 11:56 PM EDT
Out of context, the New Jersey Devils’ 4-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 shouldn’t have been that surprising. After all, the two teams split three defeats each in their six matches in the regular season. The victory wasn’t surprising, but the way they won it kinda was. The Flyers went flat while the Devils were relentless in their Game 2 triumph.
That took some of us off guard, but not Devils coach Peter DeBoer, as he told Tom Gulitti.
“I really felt we would respond like this,” DeBoer said. “It’s not more than I expected. It is what I expected.”
New Jersey showed great poise in shaking off what most of been a frustrating, scoreless second period to eventually make good on their momentum in the third. The Devils generated a 12-2 shot advantage in the middle frame but Ilya Bryzgalov held them at 1-0. That didn’t throw them off, however, as they exploded to a franchise-first four-goal third period to win the game.
Not surprisingly, DeBoer was pleased with the way they shook off that irritation.
“Bryzgalov made some big saves for them early,” DeBoer said. “We just felt we had to stick with it and that resiliency finally paid off.”
“It starts with a guy like Zach,” Clarkson said. “We didn’t give up, we kept battling and when we came in the room between periods, we said to each other, ‘Let’s keep going. Let’s keep working’ We did that and we were successful.”
DeBoer totally saw it coming, too.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32