May 1, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
When the Philadelphia Flyers went up 1-0 early in Game 2 against the New Jersey Devils, it seemed like it was going to be one of those games again. Not necessarily a win, but at least one of those high-flying Flyers efforts that have made them stand out as a wide-open team in a playoffs brimming with defense-first (second and last) squads. Instead, they folded after that 1-0 lead, expecting Ilya Bryzgalov to do it all and thus suffered a predictable 4-1 loss.
Danny Briere has been a hero for most of the playoffs basically since his first postseason game with Philly, but he didn’t have a great Game 2. He seems like a pretty accurate judge of the team’s effort, then, as he told Sam Carchidi.
“[We had] no desperation,” Briere said. “It’s frustrating. Bryz is really the only one who showed up tonight.”
Perhaps that’s a slight exaggeration, but it was a pretty pitiful team effort after the Flyers went up 1-0. The power play went without a goal for the first time in the playoffs (0-for-5) while Claude Giroux (zero points) was awfully quite and Briere (-3 rating) was brutal on defense.
Bryzgalov kept the team in the game even after New Jersey generated a 12-2 shot advantage in the second period, but eventually the floodgates opened in a four-goal (empty-netter included) third period.
For a team that seemingly generated most – if not all – of its five playoff wins despite Bryzgalov’s play, it’s strange that they lost despite one of his best performances in months. However their goalie performs on a nightly basis, Philly needs to turn things around against its division rivals or the Flyers will face another second round exit.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)