May 1, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
If the St. Louis Blues are going to get back into their series with the Los Angeles Kings after falling behind 2-0, quite a bit needs to change. With Alex Pietrangelo‘s health in question and Jaroslav Halak out for the series, much of the weight will fall on captain David Backes – one of the best (if least publicized) power forwards in the NHL.
Backes told Jeremy Rutherford that the team’s adjustments will be more about intangible changes than anything Ken Hitchcock can draw up on a chalkboard.
“We’ve got some looking in the mirror to do, some regrouping,” Backes said. “We need to make some changes so that we’re better. I think X’s and O’s and film, we’ve done that to death. It’s about intestinal fortitude and coming together as a group.”
Good stuff. By the way, memo to whoever first uttered the phrase “intestinal fortitude”: kudos to you. If you never uttered that phrase, we’d all be one well-worn cliche poorer.
Update: Lou Korac presents a director’s cut of the Backes quote that I cannot help but pass along and paraphrase.
“It’s about intestinal fortitude and coming together as a group, going to the hard areas and showing some cojones.”
Not literally, of course.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)