May 1, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Yesterday we told you of a report saying Winnipeg forward Alex Burmistrov was being courted to play in the KHL in spite of having a current contract with the Jets. Burmistrov’s agent would like you to know that his client isn’t going anywhere.
Agent Mark Gandler tells Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun Burmistrov’s deal with the Jets will make sure that he stays in North America and there’s no getting around that.
“Nobody talked to me,” Mark Gandler said, Monday afternoon. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
Asked about the report, Gandler was blunt.
“If people in Edmonton want to print gossip from the Russian papers without checking sources … all it takes is two minutes to make a phone call,” he said. “They obviously didn’t do their homework.”
Burmistrov has had his ups and downs since coming to the NHL. His first season in Atlanta and this past year in Winnipeg have seen him fight for ice time and deal with being a healthy scratch at times. Burmistrov is quite talented but with how he was put in the NHL immediately after being drafted, you’re left to wonder if he was rushed to action.
If there’s a far away place Burmistrov could wind up next season, Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press says it could be in the AHL with St. John’s.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)