Apr 30, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
When Antoine Vermette was traded from Columbus to Phoenix in February, most of the discussion focused on the Blue Jackets, a team that had taken on millions and millions in salary during the summer only to end up the worst in the NHL.
“This is moving forward,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson said. “We have to move forward. It wasn’t working this season as we expected. We’re going to move forward and this is part of the process of reshaping the team.”
Little did we know the 29-year-old center that cost the Coyotes a 2012 second-round pick, a conditional 2013 fifth-rounder, and AHL goalie Curtis McElhinney would be tied for fifth in NHL scoring after eight playoff games.
“It’s been a good fit,” Vermette told the National Post after the Coyotes advanced to the second round. “Obviously, I was really happy when I was traded to be able to compete in those important games. I was missing that for a few years in Columbus.”
The Vermette acquisition wasn’t the only one that’s worked out well for Phoenix GM Don Maloney.
In January, the Coyotes plucked forward Gilbert Brule off re-entry waivers. The former sixth overall pick has two goals and an assist in the playoffs.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)