Apr 30, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
When Antoine Vermette was traded from Columbus to Phoenix in February, most of the discussion focused on the Blue Jackets, a team that had taken on millions and millions in salary during the summer only to end up the worst in the NHL.
“This is moving forward,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson said. “We have to move forward. It wasn’t working this season as we expected. We’re going to move forward and this is part of the process of reshaping the team.”
Little did we know the 29-year-old center that cost the Coyotes a 2012 second-round pick, a conditional 2013 fifth-rounder, and AHL goalie Curtis McElhinney would be tied for fifth in NHL scoring after eight playoff games.
“It’s been a good fit,” Vermette told the National Post after the Coyotes advanced to the second round. “Obviously, I was really happy when I was traded to be able to compete in those important games. I was missing that for a few years in Columbus.”
The Vermette acquisition wasn’t the only one that’s worked out well for Phoenix GM Don Maloney.
In January, the Coyotes plucked forward Gilbert Brule off re-entry waivers. The former sixth overall pick has two goals and an assist in the playoffs.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)