Apr 30, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
When Antoine Vermette was traded from Columbus to Phoenix in February, most of the discussion focused on the Blue Jackets, a team that had taken on millions and millions in salary during the summer only to end up the worst in the NHL.
“This is moving forward,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson said. “We have to move forward. It wasn’t working this season as we expected. We’re going to move forward and this is part of the process of reshaping the team.”
Little did we know the 29-year-old center that cost the Coyotes a 2012 second-round pick, a conditional 2013 fifth-rounder, and AHL goalie Curtis McElhinney would be tied for fifth in NHL scoring after eight playoff games.
“It’s been a good fit,” Vermette told the National Post after the Coyotes advanced to the second round. “Obviously, I was really happy when I was traded to be able to compete in those important games. I was missing that for a few years in Columbus.”
The Vermette acquisition wasn’t the only one that’s worked out well for Phoenix GM Don Maloney.
In January, the Coyotes plucked forward Gilbert Brule off re-entry waivers. The former sixth overall pick has two goals and an assist in the playoffs.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)