Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The score might have “only” been 5-3, but the Phoenix Coyotes absolutely steamrolled the Nashville Predators in Game 2 to take a 2-0 series lead. For many of us who were conditioned to watch a “collapsing” Coyotes team, it was stunning to watch such an aggressive, dominant Coyotes squad.
That effort left Predators coach Barry Trotz scratching his head while Phoenix bench boss Dave Tippett beamed about as much as he beams. Dave Vest passes along some of Tippett’s rave reviews.
“I would say this is the best 60 minutes we have played in the playoffs for sure,” Tippett said. “Right through our lineup, we really had a consorted push. I didn’t think there were any weak links.”
If you want to nitpick, perhaps Tippett can point to special teams. While the Coyotes won the 5-on-5 battle 5-1, the Predators connected on both of their power play opportunities and killed both Phoenix man advantages.
It’s pretty tough to linger on such a negative when they opened the series with a 2-0 smash success, but if Tippett subscribes to the Bill Parcells school of being easy on a losing team and hard on a winning one, then that might be a bullet point. You can’t blame Tippett if he feels like he’s looking for a needle in a haystack when it comes to downers from this one, though.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 3
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)