Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The score might have “only” been 5-3, but the Phoenix Coyotes absolutely steamrolled the Nashville Predators in Game 2 to take a 2-0 series lead. For many of us who were conditioned to watch a “collapsing” Coyotes team, it was stunning to watch such an aggressive, dominant Coyotes squad.
That effort left Predators coach Barry Trotz scratching his head while Phoenix bench boss Dave Tippett beamed about as much as he beams. Dave Vest passes along some of Tippett’s rave reviews.
“I would say this is the best 60 minutes we have played in the playoffs for sure,” Tippett said. “Right through our lineup, we really had a consorted push. I didn’t think there were any weak links.”
If you want to nitpick, perhaps Tippett can point to special teams. While the Coyotes won the 5-on-5 battle 5-1, the Predators connected on both of their power play opportunities and killed both Phoenix man advantages.
It’s pretty tough to linger on such a negative when they opened the series with a 2-0 smash success, but if Tippett subscribes to the Bill Parcells school of being easy on a losing team and hard on a winning one, then that might be a bullet point. You can’t blame Tippett if he feels like he’s looking for a needle in a haystack when it comes to downers from this one, though.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)