Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Burmistrov, 20, has one year remaining on his entry-level deal that pays $1.5 million annually. He’s set to be a restricted free agent the summer of 2013 and is coming off a 13G-15A-28 point effort with the Jets.
Kazan is familiar with Burmistrov. In 2008-09, he played one game for them before heading to North America and joining the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
If the Edmonton Journal reports are accurate, it’s not surprising Kazan’s the team making a significant free agent splash. This was the same club that loaded up with NHL talent (Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk) during the 2004-05 work stoppage and currently employs ex-NHLers Niko Kapanen and Aleksey Morozov.
It remains unclear if Burmistrov has formally received a contract offer, or if he’s signed anything. He’s currently with Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships in Finland/Sweden.
Should be noted that the NHL and KHL are still operating on a “memorandum of understanding” regarding player contracts, yet remain without a formal transfer agreement.
Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who shot down the rumors.
“Nobody talked to me,” Gandler said. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)