Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Burmistrov, 20, has one year remaining on his entry-level deal that pays $1.5 million annually. He’s set to be a restricted free agent the summer of 2013 and is coming off a 13G-15A-28 point effort with the Jets.
Kazan is familiar with Burmistrov. In 2008-09, he played one game for them before heading to North America and joining the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
If the Edmonton Journal reports are accurate, it’s not surprising Kazan’s the team making a significant free agent splash. This was the same club that loaded up with NHL talent (Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk) during the 2004-05 work stoppage and currently employs ex-NHLers Niko Kapanen and Aleksey Morozov.
It remains unclear if Burmistrov has formally received a contract offer, or if he’s signed anything. He’s currently with Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships in Finland/Sweden.
Should be noted that the NHL and KHL are still operating on a “memorandum of understanding” regarding player contracts, yet remain without a formal transfer agreement.
Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who shot down the rumors.
“Nobody talked to me,” Gandler said. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)