Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Burmistrov, 20, has one year remaining on his entry-level deal that pays $1.5 million annually. He’s set to be a restricted free agent the summer of 2013 and is coming off a 13G-15A-28 point effort with the Jets.
Kazan is familiar with Burmistrov. In 2008-09, he played one game for them before heading to North America and joining the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
If the Edmonton Journal reports are accurate, it’s not surprising Kazan’s the team making a significant free agent splash. This was the same club that loaded up with NHL talent (Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk) during the 2004-05 work stoppage and currently employs ex-NHLers Niko Kapanen and Aleksey Morozov.
It remains unclear if Burmistrov has formally received a contract offer, or if he’s signed anything. He’s currently with Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships in Finland/Sweden.
Should be noted that the NHL and KHL are still operating on a “memorandum of understanding” regarding player contracts, yet remain without a formal transfer agreement.
Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who shot down the rumors.
“Nobody talked to me,” Gandler said. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)