Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
Burmistrov, 20, has one year remaining on his entry-level deal that pays $1.5 million annually. He’s set to be a restricted free agent the summer of 2013 and is coming off a 13G-15A-28 point effort with the Jets.
Kazan is familiar with Burmistrov. In 2008-09, he played one game for them before heading to North America and joining the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
If the Edmonton Journal reports are accurate, it’s not surprising Kazan’s the team making a significant free agent splash. This was the same club that loaded up with NHL talent (Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk) during the 2004-05 work stoppage and currently employs ex-NHLers Niko Kapanen and Aleksey Morozov.
It remains unclear if Burmistrov has formally received a contract offer, or if he’s signed anything. He’s currently with Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships in Finland/Sweden.
Should be noted that the NHL and KHL are still operating on a “memorandum of understanding” regarding player contracts, yet remain without a formal transfer agreement.
Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who shot down the rumors.
“Nobody talked to me,” Gandler said. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)