Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Burmistrov, 20, has one year remaining on his entry-level deal that pays $1.5 million annually. He’s set to be a restricted free agent the summer of 2013 and is coming off a 13G-15A-28 point effort with the Jets.
Kazan is familiar with Burmistrov. In 2008-09, he played one game for them before heading to North America and joining the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
If the Edmonton Journal reports are accurate, it’s not surprising Kazan’s the team making a significant free agent splash. This was the same club that loaded up with NHL talent (Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk) during the 2004-05 work stoppage and currently employs ex-NHLers Niko Kapanen and Aleksey Morozov.
It remains unclear if Burmistrov has formally received a contract offer, or if he’s signed anything. He’s currently with Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships in Finland/Sweden.
Should be noted that the NHL and KHL are still operating on a “memorandum of understanding” regarding player contracts, yet remain without a formal transfer agreement.
Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun spoke with Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who shot down the rumors.
“Nobody talked to me,” Gandler said. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)