General manager Jim Rutherford has declared that owner Peter Karmanos is willing to spend the money, and a not-too-subtle whispering campaign has identified New Jersey Devils captain Zach Parise as the No. 1 target.
Apr 30, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
From Luke DeCock of the Charlotte News and Observer comes this news about Carolina’s offseason acquisition strategy:
For the first time, the Hurricanes have identified a first-line caliber winger to play with Eric Staal as their top priority.
Financially, this strategy makes an awful lot of sense for Carolina. Parise will be arguably the top free agent available come July 1 (depending on your feelings for Ryan Suter, of course) and few teams have the Hurricanes’ financial flexibility.
At the time of writing they have 18 players under contract for next year with almost $20 million in cap space — and don’t have to sort out Jeff Skinner‘s next contract until 2014.
Just two questions: One, how much is Carolina willing to spend? And two, does Parise want any part of the ‘Canes?
Based on the contracts given to franchise cornerstones Eric Staal (seven years, $58 million) and Cam Ward (six years, $38 million), it seems Karmanos and Rutherford have no problem breaking out the checkbook — something they’d almost certainly have to do for Parise, who could be eyeballing that nine-year, $60 million deal Brad Richards signed with the Rangers last summer.
But will Parise make money his main priority? Other teams rumored to be interested include Minnesota (the hometown allure) and Detroit (the “being centered by Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Zetterberg” allure).
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25