Apr 30, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin comes with a $9,538,462 annual cap hit. That’s the thought that echoes through my head when I look at his ice time over the first period: a mere 3:33 minutes.
That’s less than all but four Capitals’ players.
We’ve spent a fair amount of time talking about the Capitals defense and goaltending, more specifically, how they need Braden Holtby to be a hero if they are to defeat the New York Rangers. That’s because the players who are paid to be the heroes in Washington have been overshadowed in their playoff run. Now, the face of the franchise is barely even playing.
Now, you could argue that a single period is a small sample size and while that does have some merit, it’s still true that the Capitals declined to use him even under what appeared to be favorable circumstances. Additionally, this is a big deal primarily because it is the latest link in a chain of troubling events surrounding Ovechkin.
To Capitals coach Dale Hunter’s credit, his system has worked and his strategies have paid off. He got this team to the playoffs – albeit barely – and past the Boston Bruins in the first round. Washington fell short in Game 1 of their second round series against the New York Rangers, but they’ve come out to a 2-1 lead in Game 2 despite Ovechkin’s minimal playing time.
At the end of the day, Hunter’s job is to win games and so far he’s done that, but Ovechkin can’t be a role player, a situational guy, or a bottom-six forward. His $9,538,462 annual cap hit will not allow for that to happen.
Be it in a period, a day, a week, or a year, something’s got to give. Ovechkin has to start playing like Ovechkin – in addition to simply playing – or the dream that Washington had when they first selected him will turn into a nightmare.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 52
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 20
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead