Apr 30, 2012, 5:34 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before – a deal to sell the Coyotes appears imminent.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that a sale to the group led by former Sharks CEO Greg Jamison could be approved by the NHL and city of Glendale by May 8.
According to PBJ’s sources, Jamison “has brought together the investment money necessary” to buy the club and keep it in Glendale.
If the money’s in place, presumably the next big hurdle will be getting a lease signed that a) gains the approval of city council, and b) isn’t so generous to the Coyotes that it draws the ire of the Goldwater Institute.
Meanwhile, ArizonaSports.com’s Vince Marotta went to the grocery store Sunday and was “floored” when the checkout clerk struck up a conversation about the Coyotes.
I’ve lived in the Valley since 1979 and became involved in this city’s sports media in 1996 – the same year the Coyotes got to town – and this was the first time I can remember a perfect stranger engaging me in a conversation about the Phoenix Coyotes.
It’s starting to feel like Phoenix is becoming a real hockey town.
Depending how you see it, Marotta’s anecdote is either promising or kinda sad. Since we don’t like to rain on parades, we’ll go with promising.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)