Apr 30, 2012, 5:34 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before – a deal to sell the Coyotes appears imminent.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that a sale to the group led by former Sharks CEO Greg Jamison could be approved by the NHL and city of Glendale by May 8.
According to PBJ’s sources, Jamison “has brought together the investment money necessary” to buy the club and keep it in Glendale.
If the money’s in place, presumably the next big hurdle will be getting a lease signed that a) gains the approval of city council, and b) isn’t so generous to the Coyotes that it draws the ire of the Goldwater Institute.
Meanwhile, ArizonaSports.com’s Vince Marotta went to the grocery store Sunday and was “floored” when the checkout clerk struck up a conversation about the Coyotes.
I’ve lived in the Valley since 1979 and became involved in this city’s sports media in 1996 – the same year the Coyotes got to town – and this was the first time I can remember a perfect stranger engaging me in a conversation about the Phoenix Coyotes.
It’s starting to feel like Phoenix is becoming a real hockey town.
Depending how you see it, Marotta’s anecdote is either promising or kinda sad. Since we don’t like to rain on parades, we’ll go with promising.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)