Apr 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers had been playing catch-up for most of Monday’s game when Ryan Callahan finally found the back of the net at 6:58 of the third period to even the score at 2-2. They seemed to have momentum on their side and for a short time it looked like they might pull off a comeback.
In the end though, they were undone by minor penalties at 9:53 and then 12:29 of the third period. The Rangers were able to kill off the first penalty, but Alex Ovechkin scored off the latter opportunity to led the Washington Capitals to a 3-2 victory.
“Can’t give things for free… You battle back as hard as we did, you can’t take four minutes in penalties (late),” said Rangers coach John Tortorella.
That might sound obvious, but as we’ve seen, it’s also easier said than done.
The Rangers’ penalty killing percentage is 84.8, which is lukewarm by the 2012 postseason’s standards. Washington’s effectiveness with the man advantage also hasn’t stuck out in the playoffs. Still, those untimely penalties might have cost the Rangers a game and the advantage in this series. Now they will have to take at least one contest in Washington if they want to get into the Eastern Conference Finals.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)