Apr 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers had been playing catch-up for most of Monday’s game when Ryan Callahan finally found the back of the net at 6:58 of the third period to even the score at 2-2. They seemed to have momentum on their side and for a short time it looked like they might pull off a comeback.
In the end though, they were undone by minor penalties at 9:53 and then 12:29 of the third period. The Rangers were able to kill off the first penalty, but Alex Ovechkin scored off the latter opportunity to led the Washington Capitals to a 3-2 victory.
“Can’t give things for free… You battle back as hard as we did, you can’t take four minutes in penalties (late),” said Rangers coach John Tortorella.
That might sound obvious, but as we’ve seen, it’s also easier said than done.
The Rangers’ penalty killing percentage is 84.8, which is lukewarm by the 2012 postseason’s standards. Washington’s effectiveness with the man advantage also hasn’t stuck out in the playoffs. Still, those untimely penalties might have cost the Rangers a game and the advantage in this series. Now they will have to take at least one contest in Washington if they want to get into the Eastern Conference Finals.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal