Apr 30, 2012, 10:52 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin got just 3:33 minutes of playing time in the first period of Monday’s contest. It looked like another low point in what has been a downward march for Ovechkin – and maybe it was.
Maybe Ovechkin’s game-winning goal in the third period will mark a turning point for him. Although that will at least partially depend on the role Capitals coach Dale Hunter has in mind for him going forward. Ovechkin still ended up with just 13:36 minutes of ice time and his role in Game 3 should be telling.
For now though, he’s their hero once more.
“He’s our big-game guy,” Mike Knuble said, who also had a major impact with the first goal of the game despite only logging 9:49 minutes.
Ovechkin hasn’t been their big game guy for most of the Capitals’ playoff run, but putting the Capitals’ ahead 3-2 on Monday was certainly a great start.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)