Apr 30, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
From The Record:
Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk was not available to meet with the media following the team’s video meeting this afternoon.
A team spokesperson said Kovalchuk had gone to “therapy” and will be meeting up with the Devils later today in Philadelphia. He will apparently not be joining the team on its bus ride to Philadelphia this afternoon for Tuesday night’s Game 2 against the Flyers.
Although Kovalchuk appears to have been struggling with some kind of injury throughout the playoffs—believed to be his lower back—he has repeatedly said when asked that he is healthy.
It’s not clear what “therapy” he was receiving, but we’re quite certain it wasn’t “couples.”
In other Devils news, goalie Martin Brodeur was happy the team decided to bus back home after yesterday’s game instead of staying in Philadelphia until tomorrow.
“I got to see my kid this morning, so that was fun,” Brodeur said. “If it wasn’t for the bus ride, it would be all right. It’s not the greatest bus ride, but I think just to get away from the guys (helped).”
In a related story, the Blues and Kings feel just awful that Brodeur’s being forced to take “not the greatest bus ride.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)