Apr 30, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
From The Record:
Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk was not available to meet with the media following the team’s video meeting this afternoon.
A team spokesperson said Kovalchuk had gone to “therapy” and will be meeting up with the Devils later today in Philadelphia. He will apparently not be joining the team on its bus ride to Philadelphia this afternoon for Tuesday night’s Game 2 against the Flyers.
Although Kovalchuk appears to have been struggling with some kind of injury throughout the playoffs—believed to be his lower back—he has repeatedly said when asked that he is healthy.
It’s not clear what “therapy” he was receiving, but we’re quite certain it wasn’t “couples.”
In other Devils news, goalie Martin Brodeur was happy the team decided to bus back home after yesterday’s game instead of staying in Philadelphia until tomorrow.
“I got to see my kid this morning, so that was fun,” Brodeur said. “If it wasn’t for the bus ride, it would be all right. It’s not the greatest bus ride, but I think just to get away from the guys (helped).”
In a related story, the Blues and Kings feel just awful that Brodeur’s being forced to take “not the greatest bus ride.”
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5