Apr 30, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s never had issues putting shots on goal.
This makes his performance in Sunday’s overtime loss to Philadelphia all the more shocking.
Despite over 20 minutes of ice time, Kovalchuk recorded zero shots on goal. It was just his third shot-less game of the season — the other two occurred in October and November — and a pretty stunning development given he averaged over four a game in the opening round against Florida.
“It’s a tough one, but overall you’ve got ups and downs,” Kovalchuk told NorthJersey.com. “So, I’ve got to see what I can do better and be better next game.”
In Kovalchuk’s defense, he appears to be playing through some sort of injury (believed to be a lower-back issue) that’s sapped him of his trademark explosiveness.
More, from NorthJersey.com:
Kovalchuk was in the medical room for a while after the game, and walked slowly through the locker room to go get dressed before returning to talk to the media. When asked if he is healthy, Kovalchuk replied, “Yeah” and then walked away.
This isn’t the first time Kovalchuk’s been questioned about playing through injury. Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger wrote about it back on Apr. 21 after New Jersey lost 3-2 in Game 5 against Florida, a game in which Kovalchuk went pointless with a minus-2 rating.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)