Apr 30, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
After the first 10 minutes of Game 1, it might not have been shocking to hear that Game 2 of the Los Angeles Kings-St. Louis Blues contest would feature a 4-0 lead. Few would have expected the Kings to hold that advantage over the second-seeded Blues after 20 minutes, though.
The Kings already have a 1-0 series lead so the defensively solid Blues face the disturbing thought of going to Los Angeles down 2-0. Brian Elliott shouldn’t get sole blame for St. Louis generally looking flat and flustered, yet many Blues fans probably wish that Jaroslav Halak was available for relief work.
Halak is still banged up from an injury he suffered in the first round, however, so Ken Hitchcock would be forced to turn to promising but inexperienced prospect Jake Allen if he wants to make a change in net.
It’s a stunning set of events for a notably silent St. Louis crowd, so the big question is: can the Blues bounce back in Game 2 or in the series in general? We will find out as the game goes along, but 4-0 might just be too much for St. Louis.
(Although the San Jose Sharks might note to their first round opponents that the Kings aren’t unbeatable in such a scenario …)
Here’s the early Mike Richards goal that began the chaos:
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 40
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control