Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings had “The Great One” on their roster, but they haven’t had many great goalies. Rogie Vachon stands out as one of the few, while Jonathan Quick might finally take the torch from him after all these years.* Vachon probably wouldn’t mind if Quick is the Next Great Kings Goalie, because he certainly was generous with praise for the young netminder in this story from Dave Stubbs.
“Quick should win the Vezina this year,” Vachon said. “He’s the real deal. He carried the whole team for months. He’s breaking a lot of my records … and over the next few years I think he’s going to break a lot more.”
Vachon describes Quick as “very strong mentally” but also “extremely fast and has very good technique.” In fact, he goes on to say that he “doesn’t have any” weaknesses and that Quick is even better than strong Vezina candidate Henrik Lundqvist.
“I watched a lot of games this year, many from back east, and I had a good look at the guy in New York,” Vachon said. “But for the team we had this year, for me Quick is the best goalie in the league.”
Of course, as a former Kings goalie, Vachon might be a little biased. Still, it’s interesting to see that Quick has such an emphatic stamp of approval from the best netminder the team’s ever had.
* – Apologies to anyone who might feel slighted. No apologies to Dan Cloutier.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)