Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings had “The Great One” on their roster, but they haven’t had many great goalies. Rogie Vachon stands out as one of the few, while Jonathan Quick might finally take the torch from him after all these years.* Vachon probably wouldn’t mind if Quick is the Next Great Kings Goalie, because he certainly was generous with praise for the young netminder in this story from Dave Stubbs.
“Quick should win the Vezina this year,” Vachon said. “He’s the real deal. He carried the whole team for months. He’s breaking a lot of my records … and over the next few years I think he’s going to break a lot more.”
Vachon describes Quick as “very strong mentally” but also “extremely fast and has very good technique.” In fact, he goes on to say that he “doesn’t have any” weaknesses and that Quick is even better than strong Vezina candidate Henrik Lundqvist.
“I watched a lot of games this year, many from back east, and I had a good look at the guy in New York,” Vachon said. “But for the team we had this year, for me Quick is the best goalie in the league.”
Of course, as a former Kings goalie, Vachon might be a little biased. Still, it’s interesting to see that Quick has such an emphatic stamp of approval from the best netminder the team’s ever had.
* – Apologies to anyone who might feel slighted. No apologies to Dan Cloutier.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)