Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings had “The Great One” on their roster, but they haven’t had many great goalies. Rogie Vachon stands out as one of the few, while Jonathan Quick might finally take the torch from him after all these years.* Vachon probably wouldn’t mind if Quick is the Next Great Kings Goalie, because he certainly was generous with praise for the young netminder in this story from Dave Stubbs.
“Quick should win the Vezina this year,” Vachon said. “He’s the real deal. He carried the whole team for months. He’s breaking a lot of my records … and over the next few years I think he’s going to break a lot more.”
Vachon describes Quick as “very strong mentally” but also “extremely fast and has very good technique.” In fact, he goes on to say that he “doesn’t have any” weaknesses and that Quick is even better than strong Vezina candidate Henrik Lundqvist.
“I watched a lot of games this year, many from back east, and I had a good look at the guy in New York,” Vachon said. “But for the team we had this year, for me Quick is the best goalie in the league.”
Of course, as a former Kings goalie, Vachon might be a little biased. Still, it’s interesting to see that Quick has such an emphatic stamp of approval from the best netminder the team’s ever had.
* – Apologies to anyone who might feel slighted. No apologies to Dan Cloutier.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12