Apr 30, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
While it’s just one game, seeing van Riemsdyk come up big in a postseason game again has everyone wondering if he’s got a “playoff mode” he activates and becomes a force of nature. As it turns out, he’s just got the right people to look up to when it comes to stepping up in big moments.
Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com finds out there’s another big playoff performer in the Flyers’ room van Riemsdyk draws inspiration from.
“I always love playing those big games,” van Riemsdyk said. “I’ve had a lot of great players to learn from. I remember my first year, I was talking to Danny Briere a little bit about what to expect in the playoffs, and he went out there and put out an absolute show out there, taking us to the Cup finals there.
“And I think I learned a lot from him and that definitely helped me in the next go-round.”
Drawing on Briere to inspire your play in the postseason is about as good of a pick as it gets. Briere’s been nothing but huge since joining the Flyers and he’s more than made his mark each year in the playoffs in Philly. It’s no wonder that the two found a way to pair up on yesterday’s game-winning goal.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)