Apr 30, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
It’s only the second round of the playoffs, but it’s also been a very slow news day, so let’s talk early Conn Smythe Trophy candidates.
Claude Giroux (Flyers) – Pretty hard to bet against a guy with 15 points in seven games. Giroux has five more points than the NHL’s second-leading playoff scorer, teammate Danny Briere. The only possible thing you could say to mitigate Giroux’s performance is that most of it came in a series that made the 1980s look tight-checking, with 1980s goaltending to match.
Mike Smith (Coyotes) – No goalie’s been busier in the playoffs. Not even close. Smith’s faced 316 shots in eight games, six of which have gone to overtime. Phoenix has been outshot in all but one of its games (yesterday versus Nashville.) Without Smith, the Coyotes probably don’t beat Chicago, and isn’t that the epitome of most valuable?
Jonathan Quick (Kings) – Only Vancouver’s Cory Schneider has a better save percentage than Quick (.955), and only one of those two has a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Quick was named the first star in Saturday’s 3-1 win at St. Louis, building on a first-round performance against Vancouver that saw him surrender just eight goals in five games to the Presidents’ Trophy winners.
Henrik Lundqvist (Rangers) – The consensus favorite to win the Vezina for best regular-season goalie has been even better in the playoffs, posting a .945 save percentage in eight games. The postseason hasn’t always gone well for Lundqvist, but he’s doing just fine this time around.
Andy McDonald (Blues) – Eight points (4G, 4A) in six games on a defense-first team. Of the players on clubs that haven’t been eliminated, only Claude Giroux and Danny Briere have more points per game than McDonald (1.33). And McDonald didn’t get to shoot on Marc-Andre Fleury in the first round.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)