Apr 30, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Somehow, it’s the offseason of Cody Hodgson.
After hearing Vancouver GM Mike Gillis rip Hodgson apart after the Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs, Gillis managed to upset someone close to Hodgson.
Former NHL star and current conditioning guru Gary Roberts works with Hodgson, and he was none too pleased with the GM’s assessment of his pupil’s play.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Roberts, who was more than happy to give a piece of his mind about what he thinks of Gillis.
“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”
Roberts refuted Gillis’ thoughts that Hodgson didn’t want to work and says Hodgson is like Steven Stamkos when it comes to motivation and determination. Roberts also says Hodgson has been dealing with an injury for the last couple years.
The Sabres, of course, are happy having Hodgson and hope Roberts’ training will turn him into the star forward Gillis once believed he’d be.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10