Apr 30, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Somehow, it’s the offseason of Cody Hodgson.
After hearing Vancouver GM Mike Gillis rip Hodgson apart after the Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs, Gillis managed to upset someone close to Hodgson.
Former NHL star and current conditioning guru Gary Roberts works with Hodgson, and he was none too pleased with the GM’s assessment of his pupil’s play.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Roberts, who was more than happy to give a piece of his mind about what he thinks of Gillis.
“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”
Roberts refuted Gillis’ thoughts that Hodgson didn’t want to work and says Hodgson is like Steven Stamkos when it comes to motivation and determination. Roberts also says Hodgson has been dealing with an injury for the last couple years.
The Sabres, of course, are happy having Hodgson and hope Roberts’ training will turn him into the star forward Gillis once believed he’d be.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)