Apr 30, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Somehow, it’s the offseason of Cody Hodgson.
After hearing Vancouver GM Mike Gillis rip Hodgson apart after the Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs, Gillis managed to upset someone close to Hodgson.
Former NHL star and current conditioning guru Gary Roberts works with Hodgson, and he was none too pleased with the GM’s assessment of his pupil’s play.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Roberts, who was more than happy to give a piece of his mind about what he thinks of Gillis.
“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”
Roberts refuted Gillis’ thoughts that Hodgson didn’t want to work and says Hodgson is like Steven Stamkos when it comes to motivation and determination. Roberts also says Hodgson has been dealing with an injury for the last couple years.
The Sabres, of course, are happy having Hodgson and hope Roberts’ training will turn him into the star forward Gillis once believed he’d be.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (69)