Apr 30, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Somehow, it’s the offseason of Cody Hodgson.
After hearing Vancouver GM Mike Gillis rip Hodgson apart after the Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs, Gillis managed to upset someone close to Hodgson.
Former NHL star and current conditioning guru Gary Roberts works with Hodgson, and he was none too pleased with the GM’s assessment of his pupil’s play.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Roberts, who was more than happy to give a piece of his mind about what he thinks of Gillis.
“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”
Roberts refuted Gillis’ thoughts that Hodgson didn’t want to work and says Hodgson is like Steven Stamkos when it comes to motivation and determination. Roberts also says Hodgson has been dealing with an injury for the last couple years.
The Sabres, of course, are happy having Hodgson and hope Roberts’ training will turn him into the star forward Gillis once believed he’d be.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)