Apr 30, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider recently speculated that the Columbus Blue Jackets might be interested in Antti Niemi, and it’s not hard to see why. Columbus has expressed a desire to mix things up in goal after years of being patient with Steve Mason.
Niemi would bring plenty of playoff experience to Columbus and he comes with a reasonable $3.8 million cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign. So it’s not a stretch to believe that the Blue Jackets would be willing to entertain an offer that involves him.
Kurz pointed out that such a move might also make sense from the Sharks’ perspective. They do have a fair amount of goaltending depth with Thomas Greiss, and prospects Alex Stalock, Tyson Sexsmith, and Harri Sateri. In addition, the Sharks are believed to be interested in Rick Nash.
A straight swap involving those two players seems unlikely, especially given what Columbus reportedly wanted for Nash at the trade deadline, but it’s not out of the question that both players could be involved a larger deal.
The Sharks have demonstrated a willingness to make bold summer moves in the hopes of finally winning a Stanley Cup, so I don’t think anything can be ruled out. A trade involving those two players does make a certain amount of sense, but obviously all this just speculation and it will be a while before we find out if this theory has weight.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 7
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31