Apr 30, 2012, 7:43 PM EST
Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider recently speculated that the Columbus Blue Jackets might be interested in Antti Niemi, and it’s not hard to see why. Columbus has expressed a desire to mix things up in goal after years of being patient with Steve Mason.
Niemi would bring plenty of playoff experience to Columbus and he comes with a reasonable $3.8 million cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign. So it’s not a stretch to believe that the Blue Jackets would be willing to entertain an offer that involves him.
Kurz pointed out that such a move might also make sense from the Sharks’ perspective. They do have a fair amount of goaltending depth with Thomas Greiss, and prospects Alex Stalock, Tyson Sexsmith, and Harri Sateri. In addition, the Sharks are believed to be interested in Rick Nash.
A straight swap involving those two players seems unlikely, especially given what Columbus reportedly wanted for Nash at the trade deadline, but it’s not out of the question that both players could be involved a larger deal.
The Sharks have demonstrated a willingness to make bold summer moves in the hopes of finally winning a Stanley Cup, so I don’t think anything can be ruled out. A trade involving those two players does make a certain amount of sense, but obviously all this just speculation and it will be a while before we find out if this theory has weight.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)