Apr 30, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider recently speculated that the Columbus Blue Jackets might be interested in Antti Niemi, and it’s not hard to see why. Columbus has expressed a desire to mix things up in goal after years of being patient with Steve Mason.
Niemi would bring plenty of playoff experience to Columbus and he comes with a reasonable $3.8 million cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign. So it’s not a stretch to believe that the Blue Jackets would be willing to entertain an offer that involves him.
Kurz pointed out that such a move might also make sense from the Sharks’ perspective. They do have a fair amount of goaltending depth with Thomas Greiss, and prospects Alex Stalock, Tyson Sexsmith, and Harri Sateri. In addition, the Sharks are believed to be interested in Rick Nash.
A straight swap involving those two players seems unlikely, especially given what Columbus reportedly wanted for Nash at the trade deadline, but it’s not out of the question that both players could be involved a larger deal.
The Sharks have demonstrated a willingness to make bold summer moves in the hopes of finally winning a Stanley Cup, so I don’t think anything can be ruled out. A trade involving those two players does make a certain amount of sense, but obviously all this just speculation and it will be a while before we find out if this theory has weight.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)