Apr 30, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider recently speculated that the Columbus Blue Jackets might be interested in Antti Niemi, and it’s not hard to see why. Columbus has expressed a desire to mix things up in goal after years of being patient with Steve Mason.
Niemi would bring plenty of playoff experience to Columbus and he comes with a reasonable $3.8 million cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign. So it’s not a stretch to believe that the Blue Jackets would be willing to entertain an offer that involves him.
Kurz pointed out that such a move might also make sense from the Sharks’ perspective. They do have a fair amount of goaltending depth with Thomas Greiss, and prospects Alex Stalock, Tyson Sexsmith, and Harri Sateri. In addition, the Sharks are believed to be interested in Rick Nash.
A straight swap involving those two players seems unlikely, especially given what Columbus reportedly wanted for Nash at the trade deadline, but it’s not out of the question that both players could be involved a larger deal.
The Sharks have demonstrated a willingness to make bold summer moves in the hopes of finally winning a Stanley Cup, so I don’t think anything can be ruled out. A trade involving those two players does make a certain amount of sense, but obviously all this just speculation and it will be a while before we find out if this theory has weight.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)